Norcalbassin

Which split rings?

I'm stuck. I'm working on swapping out all the hardware on my hard baits and can't decide on a split ring. They're all just average size bass baits so I'm having a hard time finding a good, strong split ring that will fit. I like owner hyper wires for bigger stuff, but can't find them small enough. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out.

Thanks,

Norcalbassin

Norcal, no disrespect at all intended here, but have you experienced a problem with split ring failure? I know it would be more likely where you live (due to the size of the fish), but this is not as much a problem here. I prefer to have a selection of sizes and weights. This allows float testing and fine-tuning. By adjusting hooks/rings up and down you can completely alter the action. You can also accidentally ruin the action.

Doomdart, after messing up a few baits I realize that I do need some lighter split rings. I have in fact straightened and broken both hooks and split rings. I've decided on VMC outbarbs for hooks but I don't know alot about split rings so thats why I'm having a problem. I have tried Worth though and have found them to be almost useless, every one that I have put on a bait has straightened or or just flat broke. All I'm looking for something thats not going to fall apart on me when I've got a fish on.

Thanks,

Norcalbassin

I have never had a split ring break. What size wire is your hook hanger wire and line tie? What type of split ring pliers are you using? I think it has to be something other than the split ring that is the problem. Worth split rings have worked great for me and I have use many other brands and never had problems.

It might be as simple as getting your split ring and hook size matched up correctly.

If Norcal is playing with some of those Clear Lake and Delta monsters, they can easily put a hurt on standard terminal tackle, especially so when fishing stiff rods & and low-stretch lines, including many flourocarbons. Stainless split rings are simply softer than plated spring steel rings, hence Nathan's recommendation for the heavy-duty jobs, which are the only way to go when fishing stainless rings in big bass territory. I've seen large bass do things to lures and hooks that you simply wouldn't believe physically possible, including hook hangers folded nearly flat against the bait, twisted snaps, and hooks crushed closed. And this by Northern strain largemouths smaller than those Florida-strain tackle busters.

Smirkplug: Loopknots and Crosslock's are fine for line-ties, but how do you attach your hooks?

Dean

This shouldn't be a problem. I have caught big musky on baits with Stamina stainless steel #3 and #4 heavy split rings (2X). There is no bass that can pull as hard as these fish do. The 3's are 90 lb test and the 4's are 100. They are the best I've used for smaller rings and they will never rust. I use the #5 and #6 3X on larger baits and the pound test on these are 220 and 350.

Rod

Palmetto I don't know what size wire the hangers are because I'm only doing this to factory baits such as lucky craft and speed traps. I've never broken a Worth, only staightened them and I've only broken factory rings. I'm tough on baits because I fish 50 or 65lb braid with a flouro leader, around heavy cover. I do use owner hyper wires on a few baits but they're just to big for some baits. Dean it's nice to see that someone else destroys baits too. Agian, everyone thanks for the help.

Norcalbassin

Yeah, like Nathan and Rod and I are saying the 2x's are the only way to go. The standard stainless steel split rings in size #2 or #3 are 20lb & 25lb test respectively from Worth or anyone else; fine for most situations in open water and relatively light line, but not big fish in cover with heavy tackle. Stamina will fix you up.

Did anyone see Steve Kennedy lose that Hawg on Clear Lake when it eliminated the split ring between the treble hook in its mouth and Steve's swim bait?

Dean