actionbaits

Crankbait Lips

Hello All,

Is there any type of "Pourable" Hard plastic for custom crank bait lips? I have A lip design I want to make and the flat Lexan just will not work. I tried Epoxy but it has too many bubbles in it, and limited working time.

Thanks

Let's see a picture of what you're trying to make.

If the lip you want has a curved face, do a search on here for a post by the user "hazmail." You might find it enlightening, or it might fully explain what you're trying to do.

I did a post and reply search, nothing about building custom lips. Anyone know where I may be able to find "CLEAR" Pour-A-Kast or an acrylic resin like Lucite? I have a ton of experiance working with Pour-A-Kast, but I can find clear anywhere just the white & bone.

"Actionbaits"- Go here http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9435 and read whole post- This may be simpler than casting resins, which are too brittle for lips- Polycarbonate is much more durable. Also if you are interested in cutting your own Polycarbonate lips go here http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9255

Pete

"Actionbaits"- Go here http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9435 and read whole post- This may be simpler than casting resins, which are too brittle for lips- Polycarbonate is much more durable. Also if you are interested in cutting your own Polycarbonate lips go here http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9255

Pete

Thanks hazmail, This is helpfull but still not what I'm after. I need a perfectly round bottom and a flat top to the "Lip". It will also need to fully encase a lead weight. This is the reason I need the plastic in a liquid state. Can polycarbonte be melted and worked as a liquid without catching fire or scorching?

Thanks hazmail, This is helpfull but still not what I'm after. I need a perfectly round bottom and a flat top to the "Lip". It will also need to fully encase a lead weight. This is the reason I need the plastic in a liquid state. Can polycarbonte be melted and worked as a liquid without catching fire or scorching?

Actionbaits- Never heard of Poly being melted, although it must have been a liquid at some stage in manufacture. If you heat it to the right temp, it becomes very pliable and limp, it can be twisted or molded to any shape as long as it is hot. The trouble with heating it past this state is that poly contains small amounts of water, the water becomes steam and then spalls and cracks the poly. Very thick poly needs to be heated and dried for hours before it can be worked. I think with a bit of lateral thinking you would be able to use poly to mould flats, curves to incorporate weights etc.

Good luck in your quest, there must be something out there, but if it was, I think it would allready be on this amazing forum somewhere. pete

Dont know if you have already checked it out but you may want to take a look at Wasco products. They have a polytranspar artificial water that is 2 part, clear resin. Not sure if this would work but they have several different resin casting products. Just my :twocents: since I have not tried casting lips.

Casting resin is that fiberglass resin, very brittle and not impact resistant. Urethane is very tough, I make molds from it and it withstands high heat and dropping very well. I've made several plugs out of the Pour-A-Kast resin and they are unbreakable. Just wish they had a clear version.

actionbaits, I'm trying to imagine what you're after and hope I'm not too far off the mark. Some guys on here have mentioned using the lead tape from golf pro shops (designed to add weight to a driver, etc.) to weight baits. Could such a product have a use in your application on the lip? You mentioned that you want a clear product...but maybe a carefully cut, placed, and top coated strip of tape would work?