finlander

hunting/wandering of baits

Here is my un-researched opinion... for whatever it's worth.

Hunting baits have a slightly different center of gravity. A kite, an airplane or even an auto will wander from its straight line course if the center of gravity is not just right. In theory, a COG situated slightly rearward of 'normal' should cause this movement.

For an example of lures that really search, check out a salmon plug with a bead chain line tie/hook attatchment. These lures search seveal feet because of the varried point of tow. ( the bead chain moves around causing a different angle of 'line tie')

J-Plugs by Luhr-Jensen are lures used for many years for chinook salmon here in the Great Lakes. They have an awesome action. One man I went out with doesn't use them anymore because he feels the salmon have a hard tim zeroing in an them. He uses spoons now. I wished I would have been able to make a 10" J-plug look-a-like before the Ontario trip last month for muskies. A local guide makes large crankbaits for mukies that have a 'waander' to them. That's his term for it. Others say this hunting is what a shallow running crank might do. His lures run deep. I have not seen his personally but he has a website with pictures. $50-75 each is a bit steep for me, for his 12 or 15" baits. Your center of gravity info is a new one for me. The 3 baits I made for this past trip I probably don't have a clure where the COG is. I believe his lures are abit wider towards the rear of the lure. Does this make them wander? What if the lip wasn't flat..either cupped or the other way...C( or C) if u see what I'm getting at here.? How much for a dozen sleeves?? I didn't know they were available weighted. Bruce

Hey J.P.- I'm trying to remember his name-he guides around here in W. Michigan, just got a bigger boat. He was at the Pittsburgh Muskie Show last spring and did well selling his baits and taking orders for em. Talon and Deep Threat I believe are a couple of names he calls his lures. The D. T.'s will dive deep, with the wander effect. He offered to take me out on his boat to show me how they run. Someone up on Georgian Bay this year took a 50"+ on one of his baits and then everyone wanted one. Mike King is his name, it just came to me and Kingfisher Guide Sevice is his guiding call name but his bait company goes by a different name aaas is his website. He is in Muskegon, the west Michigan town that the Indians named for having no mo' muskies. I'll let you know if i remember his website address. :oops: Bruce.