jrhopkins

paint question

i got a cheap airbrush from Harbor Freight and was wondering about inexpensive paints to start out with. was thinking about the paints you get at the hobby store for model cars. currently i am painting by hand with a brush and it is not as detailed as i would like. this is a swimbait i just made using a rattle can and brush. i was thinking with an airbrush i could blend the colors better.

fish lures 136.jpg

fish lures 136.jpg

fish lures 136.jpg

fish lures 136.jpg

fish lures 136.jpg

fish lures 136.jpg

fish lures 136.jpg

2077_thumb.attach

I use Apple Barrol from WalMart. It is under $1.00 and a good paint. I cut it with windex and it works out real well for me. I have found that the yellow seems to be a little harder to shoot for some reason. I also run the paint through a paint strainer, it helps to keep the chunks from clogging up the airbrush.

they are a microfiber i found in the fly tying dept. at Sportsmans Warehouse. they are called "Microfibetts" by L&L products. yeh, a lot more work but make nice looking fins and are tough. i cut slots into the bait before i paint it and epoxy them into place before i clearcoat it. i like the look better than the ziplock bag method, i think they look more realistic and don't offer as much resistance for the tail action.

Emmett, thanks for the paint tip, picked some up and will give it a try.

fish lures 078.jpg

fish lures 078.jpg

fish lures 078.jpg

fish lures 078.jpg

fish lures 078.jpg

fish lures 078.jpg

fish lures 078.jpg

2078_thumb.attach

print the fin image using microsofts paint program on tissue paper or draw it on with a permanent marker then sandwich it between two pieces of ziplok plastic bag using contact cement. the contact cement is waterproof and remains flexible. then cut a slot into the bait and epoxy the fin in place, trim it to size and shape first. here's a sample

fish_lures_001_822.jpg

fish_lures_001_822.jpg

fish_lures_001_822.jpg

fish_lures_001_822.jpg

fish_lures_001_822.jpg

fish_lures_001_822.jpg

fish_lures_001_822.jpg

fish_lures_001_822.jpg

2079_thumb.attach

I use windex to thin it, I read about it on an airbrush forum a while back. I just add a little windex to the paint jar and add the paint put a lid on and shake it up real good. I also keep a jar with windex and water to run through the brush between colors.