tarakito

Jon Boat conversion

19lowe96,

I have been considering this myself. I have been tossing around the idea of using the steel 2x4 studs they use in commercial construction and some residetial construction. they are light weight and once the floor is attached they would be pretty strong. I am just not sure how they would react since they are galvanized steel and the boats are aluminum I believe.

1x1x1/8 aluminum angle and 1/2" plywood is all you need. You'll get some flex but you have to remember you're in a jonboat and really need to make it as light as possible. Plus, when the boat's in the water, I promise you won't even notice the flex anyway because the boat moves so much with every step you take.

MTfishingrods,

Clamboni is guiding you right .. mixing different metals around water is asking for trouble ... plus other than aluminum is adding weight that you do not want or need.

I modified one with out metal only wood that came out good.

All in the bracing to give it strength.

Hope it turns out OK

JSC

I agree completely. Mixing metals is a problem. thats why the ideas been tossed around and not finished yet. But you see I have this other issue besides the weight of the boat. its the weight of the angler in the boat. :) I am really worried that the aluminum would not support my weight. And I was afraid of using wood for fear of making the boat to heavy. The steal studs was a good compromise and then you have the electrolosis which will occur with out a doubt and rather quickly I might add. So I was thinking of maybe steel stud free standing framework with plywood decking on a thick rubber mat to keep the galvanized steel from contacting the aluminum floor. connecting to the aluminum sides or seats vit wooden blocks or spacers as a separater to keep the 2 metals from touching but still allowing a firm attachment. Is everyone confused? lol . Anyways thats my thinking and my reason for the overkill on the supports.

thats a really nice job! didnt raise my deck on mine cause of my boys but ive got 2 8 ft rodlockers,livewell/baitwell,storage for 12 plano 2700s plus more storage besides the space for 2 batteries and gas tank......i used a 1 inch aluminum square tubing frame that i brased then pop riveted braces onto besides.floor and side walls are 5051 aluminum from tractor trailor sides and front/rear deck and hatch tops are 1/8 or 1/4 inch diamond plate aluminum...all came from the scrapyard for less than 250.00 bucks.i can walk all over the boat (and i do on a regular basis) and its stable as all git out....only 2 things i wish id done different was covered the sharp corners cause the carpets already wearing bad there and somehow i managed to take the "flex" outta the darn boat. git just the right size waves and the ride will jar you a bit..ill try to git a few pics up tommorrow..

You'll be fine with aluminum. I have a 300 lb friend on my boat a lot and it's still fine after 5 years. Like I said, It'll flex, but you change the center of gravity of the boat so much with each step that the hull will move too much for you to notice the flex.

If you're worried about the angle not being stiff enough, you can use channel instead. Still light but much stiffer than the angle.

Sold! lol. Thats what I wanted to hear. If that has worked for your friend after 5 years it will work for me. I will definately use aluminum. See, you can teach an old dog new tricks. :) No it is not a welded hull. I guess this means its time to get to work on it now. Clamboni and JSC thanks a bunch for sending me in the right direction on this. I really really hate doing things twice.

I am thinking of conveting my pond jumper. How stable are they? I have heard the tip easier after you convet them. I am getting a Bass boat next spring so I didn't want to dump very much into it. I am only going to use it for farm ponds. Does anybody have a guesstamet for conveting it? I would like to keep under $500 is that resonable?

Not sure how kosher this is but there is another forum site like ours that all they do is jon boat conversions. Some of the things they do are awesome. If you want to know what it is pm me. If everyone decides it is kosher I will post a link to the site.

Go ahead and post it, it's the same a posting a link to another tackle making site. It sounds like it might be a handy reference to everybody converting or up grading their boat.