blackjack

Little petey!!

It all started at a fishing show about three years ago in Pennslyvania. I had one of the Conn. Pros looking at my baits and he asked If I ever heard of the discontinued little petey.(He had a few a couple of years before but had since lost all of them) I told him I had but never had gotten my hands on one. Well 2 weeks ago I finally found one in the package mint condition. I paid $26.50 for that little beauty. Last week it arrived and I stripped it down to the bare wood as to copy it. I copied it and here is the first copy. The original was just rough sanded under all of the primer and paint. Mine is alot smoother. I paid strict attention to the weight of the original the placement of the line ties and the belly weight. The finished product is about 4 or 5 days away. I can't wait to get them both wet!!

peteybaits2.jpg

peteybaits2.jpg

peteybaits2.jpg

peteybaits2.jpg

peteybaits2.jpg

peteybaits2.jpg

peteybaits2.jpg

peteybaits2.jpg

220_thumb.attach

You can see that the body that you have made is done with much more care and precission. I have seen TONS of handmade crankbaits made by rough shaping and sanding. Then they spread 25 coats of primer or undercoat to hide all of the problems and bad work. This bait also looks like the Little PT made by Flatshad baits. www.flatshad.com How thick is the lure? This guy went to the Tackle manufacturers show in Nevada. He got a little push in an article in Bassmaster. Now he has been clobberd so hard with requests for his baits that he is not taking any more orders untill July of 2004. The old "be carefull what you wish for" syndrome. This dude will be busting his chops for the next 9 months in the shop. Hope he doesn't have to work another day job. Really nice looking body Blackjack. Post a picture of the finished product.

Skeeter

Skeeter, you are right on with the flatshad guy. I have a few of his "P. T." baits. They are identical to the original Petey except his are made from cedar. I think he offers the bait in balsa as well. The weight of the original Petey is 6.3 grams(stripped to bare wood) Mine is 6.28 grams( I guess I used a little less glue ) I plan on painting them a Plemmons color (black back, pearl sides, charteuse on the belly and orange on the throat) It is a killer for stained water and for some reason the smallies love it as well. The plemmons color is also one of the original Little Petey colors.

Hughesy,

I'll have about 20 or so done by the second week in November. If you would could you please tell Jeff T., Thank you for putting me in touch with Doyle Mollar (H&H plastic Rattles and belly weights) Doyle is a class act and has fantastic products. His belly weights have saved me a tremendous amount of time and effort. If anyone is looking for rattles or premium lead belly weights. drop me a line