clemmy

Wire former for through wires?

OK, so what I do now for a throughwire on a bait I plan on making a number of is pount some nails into a block of hardwood at turning points, then cut off the nailheads. What I'm wondering is if anyone has every taken parts off of/replacement parts from one of the commerially available benders like Boggs etc., and mounted them in such a way to make a rapidly repeatable through wire form for cranks? Just looking to cut down on time into each bait, and didn't want to "re'invent" the wheel.

Thanks,

Clemmy

I met a crankbait maker that has be using a jig like this for 35 years. So I built one and with 19g or 20g ss wire I can bend a harness in about 20 seconds. I get a pair of needle nose pliers and start at the bottom hook hanger. Just wrap once, pull around the guides, and squeeze around the 2 end eyelets post.

Is there a better way?

d44e_12.JPG

Palmetto,

Thats exactly the way that ours is set up when we do thru wires. It is fast enough for the amount we do although we got away from thru wire. I have'nt seen a bass thst would pull out our homemade hook hangers, but we havent tangled with 15# ers. We have caught a couple of 20# shovelheads though. :eek:

As I said, this is exacltly as I'm doing now. I'm just always looking for a better way, and thats what got me thinking of using a bender for the line ties. Obviously it's faster and more accurate for the wire bait guys like spinnerbait/buzzbaiters, or else they'd hand bend everything. I know it's not NECCESSARY, but rather if it's more reproducible (obviously it would be more exact than what we/I are using now...)

Clemmy

I haven't made any hangars yet, but the above method is exactly what I have planned. I would expect to be able to achieve good repeatability after a dozen tries, getting the feel for over bend and spring back.

With locators in the lead mould to hold the hangar in the same place every time and in the final mould, should achieve consistancy.

Am I being naive?

Mr Hoo'. That's pretty much it. When you drop the wire in, do you coat it with flux or any cleaning agent or any other process?

You've got the pics nailed now.

Yes Vodkaman we do use flux. Just a little touch on it on the iron slide it onto the wire and a touch of solder.....done deal