lokust

Paint on jig eyes.

I am want to put split rings on some jigs, But everytime I do it the paint gets scratched off. I got a decent pair of split ring pliers.

I think it looks a little unprofessional, I want more of a pro look from my baits.

Can any one shed some light on this for me?

I would greatly appreciated it.

Thanks,

-Chris

Not to sound arrogant, but why are you putting split rings on jigs??? " The paint gets scratched off". There are a million ???? before you get some answers. Are you talking about the paint on the jig eye or on the jig? Are you painting them? Is it powder paint, or lacquer? Is there a finished clear coat over the paint??? This is for starts. If you would answer some of these ?????, maybe we can help you out with your dilemma. I'm sure you will get some responses from the guys here, myself included.

Not to sound arrogant, but why are you putting split rings on jigs??? " The paint gets scratched off". There are a million ???? before you get some answers. Are you talking about the paint on the jig eye or on the jig? Are you painting them? Is it powder paint, or lacquer? Is there a finished clear coat over the paint??? This is for starts. If you would answer some of these ?????, maybe we can help you out with your dilemma. I'm sure you will get some responses from the guys here, myself included.

Yeah I am talking about the jig eye. I buy the jigs prepainted so I am unsure if they are Lacquer or Powder paint. It doesn't look like there is any kind of clear coat. Thanks for the response.

yeah Willie I am making Chatter type baits. But I want that more professional look.

I am thinking I am doing something wrong with the split ring pliers, I dunno.

Thanks very much for the help.

-Chris

Hey Chris,

I've made some similar chatter type lures in the past. Although I paint my own jigs, this is what I would do to make your jig eyes clean. Take a dremel tool, and buy a small round wire wheel for it. Once you do that take the dremel tool, carefully, and I do mean carefully polish off all the paint on the entire hook eye. I have done this many times, and it just plain works. If the paint is thin unlike powder, it will come off real easy. The reason I say carefully is, the round wire wheel has a tendency to want to wrap itself around the hook eye. When this happens, and you will feel it pull, it will scratch the paint along the side of the body also. Believe me, Iv'e ruined a few too many jigs trying to rush this process. A nice light touch will work. This will leave you with nice clean unpainted eyes, no matter how you put your split rings on..........