jrhopkins

swimbaits

12 posts in this topic

just finished these today. green metalic, slow sinking, 6", 1.3 oz. very nice "S" action. gold foil with a copper mist, floater/diver, 6", 1.3 oz. have been using Devcon for the finish coat but think i will order some of Dicks clearcoat, have seen a lot of posts on it. any thoughts?

fish lures 221.jpg

fish lures 220.jpg

fish lures 221.jpg

fish lures 220.jpg

fish lures 221.jpg

fish lures 220.jpg

fish lures 221.jpg

fish lures 220.jpg

fish lures 221.jpg

fish lures 220.jpg

fish lures 221.jpg

fish lures 220.jpg

fish lures 221.jpg

fish lures 220.jpg

fish lures 221.jpg

fish lures 220.jpg

2083_thumb.attach

2084_thumb.attach

Very nice baits. Have you tried making any sinking baits without a lip? They are not very difficult and have better action imo.

yeh, the next one i'm going to try it. the green one did pretty good with no lip but i already had the lip slot cut .

Great job....funny thing about swimbaits is that some swim, some don't. I haven't figured out the dynamics yet of lipless swimbaits but hope to at some point.

RM

yeh, i've had some that that i put a lot of work in not swim well and just end up in the can! working on a 7" trout now. will post a picture if it turns out.really nice lures on your site. great finishes! i use devcon and still get some areas that don't turn out smooth. going to order some of dicks topcoat and give that a try.

Devcon should work for you fine......if you have areas that aren't smooth try putting the epoxy on a bit thicker. If you are still having problems post them here and you will get things solved.

Jed V.

Very nice job! Do you thin your Devcon? I make a similar bait and have trouble with the Devcon being too thick in the joints.

There is no reason to thin Devcon.....if it's too thick run a propane torch over it quickly, it will turn to a water-like consistency.

Jed V.