bamabass

crankbait dynamics

Hello all,

I just signed up a few days ago and was contemplating my first post to ask this same question. I would like to get into lure making and actually carved a crankbait out of some cedar but I have no idea of the physics involved to make sure the action is right.

Any info geared toward a beginner would be much appreciated. Even a reference to a previous discussion would help.

I'm looking forward to your responses.

Thanks,

Bo

Welcome Bowman.

This is an excellent question and has been asked many times before. In fact it was pretty much the first question that I asked, with very little positive response. Over the last six months their have been many discussions on the subject, so I am giving you a series of words to search this site for. The search function at the top of the page only allows single word searches, so you have quite a bit of reading to do. Unfortunately I am under the thumb at work and do not have the time to present you with direct links. Good luck with it and ask questions.

Search words: vortex vortices axis axes buoyancy yaw roll wobble waggle ballast hunt hunter death (as in death roll).

Hope this helps. Also read all posts by Skeeter and Lapala.

Scientific dynamics aside, I suggest you build early crankbaits using baits you like and have been successful for you as models. There's a learning curve that everyone has to go through when they begin building, mostly about how to get build steps done efficiently and in the right order. That requires some planning. If you keep the crank body symetrical, take pains to make all the hardware centered, and install the lip straight, you'll be far along the path to building baits that perform well. It amazes me how many commercial wood crankbaits don't seem to get those basics right.

It's tough starting out. A beginner doesn't really want/need a full course in hydrodynamics. But yes a tutorial on basic design would be helpful I'm sure. I always say, study the classics & go from there. And like BobP suggested, master the basic mechanics & you're on the right path.

Not to get off subject, but my tip/advice is build some prototypes just for the sake of experimentation after you decide which style you'd like to try. If you butcher up some wood playing around, who cares? Build some with metal lips so you can bend the lips/angles or drill out eye holes. Move 'em around. Some of my protos have 3-4 eyelets on them just to see what happens. If you want to experiment with weighting, drill some holes from the nose to the tail and slip some shot in and move it around just to see. Lauri didn't get it right the first time I'm sure!