bassmaster1974

Clear coat question

I have been custom painting lures for a few years now and I have used everything from polyurethane to devcon.I have been getting requests to paint more lures for people and I just dont have time to brush on a finish and I am not comfortable doing work for someone else and dipping it in poly.It works but not well over time. I have tried to get info from some of the well known crankbait painters online with little success.I know some are using gel coat and that would be fine.But there are a few additives other than the hardener that you add and I cant get that answer either.What I need is something I can buy in pints or a gallon that I can just dip the crankbaits in and turn them while they dry.If you can help me out with this I would really appreciate it.

Dick Nite's Fishermun's Lure Coat is a moisture cured polyurethane that produce a tough slick high luster clearcoat. I think dampeoples dips with it and he may be able to provide some details. It has many good properties but can be tricky to use. You must avoid introducing ANY moisture into the container. For instance, drips from a dipped lure will begin to cure the entire container. Dick Nite provides a discount for TU members, click on the banner at the top of the page. I use prop pellets disolved in acetone for waterproofing and reinforcing balsa baits but don't think it is ideal as a clearcoat becuase its clarity and durability are less than other options.

Devcon is an epoxy glue that is found in a wal mart, home depot, or any hardware stores.it is 2 part and when the two parts mix you brush it onto the lure then put it on a rottiserre to get an even coat.If you buy it make sure you get Devcon 2 ton 30 min clear epoxy.Most others will yellow over time.Fairly easy and thick but it can be thinned with acetone

Windal,

There are a lot of discussions on clear coats on this board.....way too many to mention not to mention a lot of different ways to apply them and good points and bad. Do a search for Devcon or clearcoats at the top of the page and you will be busy for quite awhile. If you have ??? after that feel free to ask. There are many on here very willing to help.

Welcome and happy hunting.......er I mean fishing or catching or luremaking.........well you know.

BassMaster1974

I'm from North Alabama also. Logan Martin, Pell City. I tried every sort of finish I could over the past year just to educate myself on the best, longest lasting, eaisest to use.

Use Devcon, but make it simpler.

Go to the dollar store and buy cheap plastic ice cube trays.(3or4/$1.00)

Use one cube to mix enough for each time you want to apply top coat(s).

When you have used the holes all up, throw away the ice tray.

Brushing on with a cheap, 1/4 to 1/2 inch brush, takes about one minute per bait. Follow the tutorial on this site about application, by gloping it on the head and then cover the whole bait and brush away the excess.

Any of the other coatings (Dick Nites, Poly, etc) will become contaminated and harden before you can use it all. Most of these will not stand up to any rocks or even the mud at Logan Martin for any time at all. Devcon can be saved between applications in the tube not mixed. You can use only what you need and save the rest till next time. It is MUCH mor forgiving that any other and it is definately stronger and doesn't loose clearity. The new Devcon Tubes are even better.

I messed up a lot learning that one minute per bait was not too much time to apply a good top coat that will last.