clemmy

Airbrush splatter question...

I happily use Iwata airbrushes currently, and I know there's a trick to doing splatter (popsicle stick). I was wondering though if anyone uses the Testors Aztek airbrush with the pink splatter tip. I thought for say, 20-30 bucks you could get a used one add a quick disconnect, and only use it for splatter effects...

Anybody try this?

Thanks,

Clemmy

Clemmy, BamaBass' Iwata trick is right on.. But as far as the Aztek goes... I use the Aztek but not a cheapie.. I use the A7778 metal body series.. I had no luck w/their Splatter nozzle tho.. I just take the medium nozzle(turqoise), turn the air up to 30psi, dip the tip of nozzle in a paint cup then hit the trigger.. Works great.. Altho the best splatter finishes Ive ever done were by simply putting paint on a tooth brush then using my finger to spread the brush hairs back & let it fling onto the lure.. Gives a nice eradic splatter that can be controlled with just a little practice.. Stiff toothbrush that is..

John~

OhiOLurMakR,

That's a great idea. Years ago, before knock down lace textures were popular as finishes on exterior plaster (stucco) walls, plasterers used to do a splatter finish by dipping their 7" wide plaster brushes into wet plaster, and then taping them agains the blade of their trowel. That sprayed the wet plaster over the wall and made an interesting finished coat. Different from the sponge float finish you'd get with Colorkote.

I'll have to give the tooth brush a try.

Thanks.

Mark