basssj

source for spinner bait blades

I am looking for some high quality blades to use on spinnerbaits. I really like the quality and performance of hildebrandt blades but they are so expensive, especially the gold ones. Anyone know of a cheaper source for hildebrandt other than barlows? Are there any blades on the market that can match up in quality to hildebrandt at a cheaper price? Thanks for the help.

Basssj

Hildebrandt blades have always been heavier and more expensive than other blades. At one time there was another blade comparable, but it too was expensive; that was Diamond Blades (not the diamond pattern blades that are around now). I think Hildebrandt has that heavy-blade market cornered now, and if you want them, then you have to pay.

http://www.lakelandinc.com/Lakeland_2005_Catalog_CD/Catalog_pages/Colorado_Premium.pdf

http://www.lakelandinc.com/Lakeland_2005_Catalog_CD/Catalog_pages/Willowleaf.pdf

You will need to buy some minimums to get a price break but Lakeland is about as close as you can get.

To match Hildebrant weight and quality you will want to order the Premium Blade w/ Premium Finish.

Hildebrant Willow blades have a unique taper on the point.It will be hard to get an exact match.

There Colorado is a dead match to the Premium Grade Premium Finish Lakeland.

Keep in mind that there has been a 43% increase in Blade prices recently.

The bottom line is if you want the best Quality chances are you will have to pay a Premium but you still should be able to do better than Stamina or Jann's if you are prepared to purchase in minimum quantity.

Regards,Blades

I was looking at the premium blades offered from Barlows but I am wondering if they can match up to hildebrant. I think Dean has it right. Hildebrant seems to be offering a Cadillac blade for a Cadillac price. I am only looking to make a few custom baits for myself so I can't justify ordering 100+ blades of one color and size at this point. Thanks for all the responses.

I just checked with Yakima. The manufacture is definately not the place to order them from. They are charging $7.49 for a four pack of #5 gold blades. YIKES!

As a side note, I didn't know that Yakima now owns Lee Sisson. According to their phone message, they just aquired that co.

Look up the Worth Company here in Stevens Point Wi. They are one of the biggest producers of blades in the world and alot of what you buy from netcraft ect. comes from them. There number is 715) 344-6081. I don't know what there min. purchase is but it might be worth a try. I bought components from them years ago when I had a tackle shop and as I recall they sold in small amounts. If you don't need all the blades put them on ebay. I sold tons of blades I had and blades my wife brought home when she worked for Worth Co. Never had problems getting them sold.