.dsaavedra.

Lip Slot

Well, I straighten the slot out with a diamond file and then mount the lip using a paste epoxy. I use Rod Bond, a paste epoxy designed for rod building, but other paste epoxies also work. The paste lets you position the lip straight but won't flow out of the slot. If you paint over the slot later, it's undetectable.

I have filled lip slots with epoxy and then re-cut the slot. I use tape to dam the sides of the slot and then fill with epoxy and let it cure before removing the tape. If you do a good job with the tape you won’t have a lot of sanding and shaping to get it looking good.

I recently reworked a risto rap and installed a shallow lip to make a wake bait by filling the lip slot and re-cutting a new slot.

ShallowRistoRap.JPG

Swimming Risto4.JPG

ShallowRistoRap.JPG

Swimming Risto4.JPG

ShallowRistoRap.JPG

Swimming Risto4.JPG

ShallowRistoRap.JPG

Swimming Risto4.JPG

ShallowRistoRap.JPG

Swimming Risto4.JPG

ShallowRistoRap.JPG

Swimming Risto4.JPG

ShallowRistoRap.JPG

Swimming Risto4.JPG

ShallowRistoRap.JPG

Swimming Risto4.JPG

2109_thumb.attach

2110_thumb.attach

I use Marine Tex Epoxy. It is at WalMart in the Auto paint section. It is a stick, that you pull off the amount you need and kneed it real good to mix the hardner. It applies like a putty, hardens to sandable state pretty quick. Water tight and tough.