bassn1

Cutting lip slots

OK, I took the plunge and made a few "foamies". A friend of mine wanted me to copy a Bagley B2 so he gave me one with a broken lip. I cut the lip off and left about 1/16" on for a reference when I made the mold for it. The problem I'm having is cutting a strait lip slot in the new foam bodies. I get 1 out of 3 to come out right. Is there trick to this or do you just "eyeball" it and hope for the best. ... BTW, the ones that did cut strait came out great. ( catch fish too ). I never would have even tried with out all the knowlege I gained from this site. Now if I could just talk the wife into getting that air brush.......

I could just use one of the good baits and make a new master but I really don't want to fork out another $30 on more RTV.

Husky could you explain the "score line" on the mold?

Sorry for the vagary. Scoring the mold is done by placing a casting with a perfect lip slot back in the mold and using a razor to delineate the lips' boundries on the mold's cavity. The castings should pick up the finest of lines. Pm me if you have any questions.

In any event, you'll have a true and consistent point of reference to use when cutting lip slots.

Everyone of these candy molds, and the many more that followed, has a Teeny, weeny, tiny imperfection from the master model, the orange one, that my old eyes missed. The buyer gave it a pass, as I had to point it out to him!

The point is that you can strategically place a reference point in your mold to use as a cutting marker. A hairline will suffice.

DSCF0003-1.jpg