dog1660

Devcon Clear Coat

I am new the the forum and have been looking for a good top coat for my lures. I have just started to air brush some baits with custom colors to try something different. Ary you guys using the Devcon epoxy glue? I went to W-mart and got some of the 5 min two part epoxy. Will this blend the paint colors together?? Do you use an sealer before the epoxy?? Am I asking to many stupid questions???

I really enjoy making my own baits, jigs, spinnerbaits, ect.

I just needed some good advise before I destroy a couple of hours of painting. I have used model enamel paint on the baits and they came out really nice so before I clear coat them I wanted to try the Devcon.....just a little nervious. Thanks in advance for any advise.

DEVCON 5 MIN EPOXY cures too fast, won't level properly, yellows, and you'll probably have to strip it and repaint. The stuff to use is the Devcon Two Ton epoxy (30 min). It does everything that the 5 min epoxy will not. Unlike b1974, the only time I tried 5 min was when I grabbed the wrong syringe, and it was a disaster.

I just got a turning wheel set up today so I will be trying the 30 min Dev. But I have a lot of lures that I have coated with the 5 min and with the exception of a few that I used too small of a brush on,they look great.But I do have some older ones that have been fished a lot (pearl white paint)and they did turn an orange/yellow that I regret.But I have learned a lot on this site in the short time I have been here so I will be trying the 30 min D2T.I assume it is thinner than the 5 min so will I need multiple coats?Im guessing there is a certain window of time you have to apply the 2nd coat so the 2 become one coat.??

BM1974 - a single coat of Devcon 2 Ton is thicker than most clearcoats. I've never had a toothy critter bite through it so don't see the need for multiple coats. My basic viewpoint is that the more operations you perform while building a bait, the more chance there is for something to go wrong. Think you'll find the D2T easy to use, with a "work time" of at least 5 mins before it begins to get too thick to comfortably brush. You can even use a decent brush, clean and reuse it afterwards :) WUN36, I read alot of questions on TU about brands of epoxy besides Devcon and Etex Lite but usually no replies because nobody has tried it. Most builders aren't going to experiment much with epoxies because a bad coat can ruin all the work they put in on the bait. ALL epoxies yellow to some extent over time. D2T just does it less and takes longer than most. I have 3-4 yr old D2T coated baits that have very little yellowing. Can't say the same about the few other epoxies I've tried, including the rod thread epoxies like Flexcoat, etc.

A single coat of the D2T sounds good.I think I have been making it much harder on myself than I need to.I would LOVE to be able to re use a brush rather than wasting one per bait.I am really getting a lot of orders for my hand made cranks and custom paint and I want a coating that I can apply and know will work for my customers.I really REALLY appreciate your advice.Sorry to beat topics to death,but I really do need to get my clearcoat perfected.I am using a Ronco rot. for clear.It is going to work great once I get some d2t if it will smooth out as well as everyone here agrees.Also,what are you using to clean a brush after clearing?

And also(sorry)how much time do I need to spend brushing on the d2t?I have to work fast with the 5 min to smooth it out.Just wondering if I get some heavier spots with the d2t and then put it on the wheel if it will even it out?

"And also(sorry)how much time do I need to spend brushing on the d2t?I have to work fast with the 5 min to smooth it out.Just wondering if I get some heavier spots with the d2t and then put it on the wheel if it will even it out?"

I can do 2 lures without getting in a real big hurry. D2T is self leveling. This doesn't mean that you can big glob in one spot and all be well, but if you get it level to the eye, it will be fine as long as you spin it for 20-30 minutes.

Eric

Hi Dog,

I use enamels for all my lures, airbrushing Model Master & Boyd enamels.. Devcon 2T 30min epoxy has no ill effects to the enamels.. It wont lift or wrinkle the paint.. If you want to sign your name or whatever to the bait, an ultra fine point Sharpie works good with the enamel paint & DT2 topcoat..I apply DT2 with my fingers covered with surgical gloves & rotate lure for 30mins then hang it up overnight..

John~

Thank you for all of your posts. I found the D2 and it worked out just fine. I am really glad I finally found a finish that is reasonable for price and has a great finish. The baits came out great and when I figure how to post the pics I will have to show you guys how they came out. Some of the tips and tricks on this site is really helpful and brings the fun back into our garage hobbys,..or in my case our obsetiion. Thanks Rudy