Willy

Flukes...how to rig 'em?

I've seen soft baits I think they're called "flukes," with what amounts to two 'lips' or flaps, on the bottom of the lure.

What are they (the lips/flaps) for? Do you hide the hook in 'em? Or do they flap in the water?

Forgive my ignorance.

Willy

A fluke is a soft jerk bait.You can fish them in places you cant fish a jerkbait like thick grass.I rig the super flukes on a 3/0-4/0 EWG hook weightless.Cast it out and let it sink to the top of the grass or the depth you want and just twitch or slap your rod down with long pauses between.These are great for schooling fish but I cast out and work it faster.You can also make the bait dart and jump on the waters surface.If you have never fished one,you will be amazed at the lifelike action the bait has in the water.

I have the rigging part down okay. The problem that I have with a fluke is actually getting the hook to penetrate. I end up losing more fish on a fluke than any lure. Even with a extra wide gap hook, after the hook set, often the fluke comes back balled up right in the hook bend, totally covering the hook point. Anyone else have this problem?

I don't use the flukes but I do fish slugos which are basically the same. I had the same problem when I started using these baits but I've found that if you push the hook through the bait and then skin hook the point of the hook to make it weedless, your hook up rates will go up considerably. What I described is called "texsposed" .

Like some of the others have said, "texpose" the hook.Texas rig style with the hook coming back out the back of the fluke and then skin hooking the tip.I fish thick grass with flukes and I started using braid 2 years ago with flukes.Makes all the difference in the world.Another thing I have seen my clients have trouble with is setting the hook too early.Most want to set when they see the bass hit the bait.I always wait until I feel the fish on the bait.Kind of like a top water hook set.Once I set with the braid,they are stuck.

I use a hook Jann's sells called a "sure grip" shinner hook in 5/0 made by Ohio Pro Lure. It has a keeper that makes those soft plastics last allot longer!! And the shape of the hook is different than an EWG that I think hooks the fish better. One other trick is to put a SMALL swivel about 18-24 inches up from the hook to keep the line twist out of the main line. I usually use white or bubblegum. This is a deadly jerkbait. Give this method a try, I think you will like it!!

Hey guy's I use flukes 60% of the time here in Arkansas. I mostly use what I call a cork screw, some call them tag alongs, but they are a small wire cork screw that you can put on a hook. In deep cover or grass beds I use a weedless hook.{MUST be sharp} or in more open water I use a long shank hook and put the screw on were it will slide up and down the shank. Screw the nose of the fluke all the way to almost touch the hook. When A fish bites down the fluke and does not feel anything hard{a hook}. They will suck the fluke and hook into the mouth. I've had fish just swim for 20 seconds or more with the fluke in it's mouth just to see how long they will hold it. Easy hook sets and the action in the water is amazing. Shane