Fishstick

Do I need a spray booth?

8 posts in this topic

Greetings all,

I just recently joined the board (this is my first post) and I am very impressed with the quality of the work that you all are doing. It's very inspirational!

I have already carved a few fish decoys but would like to start carving my own hard baits. I already have my first airbrush on order. The question I have is, if I am using acrylic paints (Createx) paints do I really need to use a spray booth if I paint indoors?

Thanks,

I use acrylics and usually paint in the garage, positioning newspaper to catch overspray. You do get some paint that jet dries and deposits as dust but it's non-toxic. I occasionally paint inside using the kitchen sink to catch overspray and haven't gotten any death ray looks from my wife yet but if you do alot of it, you would get more dust. I tried a simple spray booth but found I had to clean it up constantly to keep the dust from blowing around and getting on the baits I was painting. If you do alot of inside painting, it might pay to build a spray booth with air filtration.

Not worried about toxicity with the dust. Two things though. It's very annoying when it coats all your nose hairs and throat. Plus, even though it's non-toxic, it can interfere with gas exchange in your lungs if enough gets in there.

Thank you all for your replys. Nice to know I am not going to be harmed...except possibly from my wife if I mess up the place :lol:

What is nice about a booth is you never have to worry about overspray or a mess or fumes of any kind. You can build your own for a few bucks and it is a fun project to boot. Just MHO....

Rod :yay: