bamabass

help with apple barrel

I have been thinning it with cheap glass cleaner. I pick it up at the dollar store for a buck a gallon. I thin it about 60/40 paint to cleaner then I strain it with old panty hose. I know other people do it differently but this has been working well for me. Let me know how it turns out. Good luck.

Scott

I used alot of Apple Barrel and I love its wide color palette and general decent quality. When I switched to an Iwata I had to wean myself off it. You just never know how coarse the pigment will be in a particular bottle because it's not formulated for airbrushes. Some colors like black and flat white are often OK. Browns are usually very coarse. You never know until you try them. If it's the consistency of milk and won't spray, your tip is clogged. If it spits water, the brush is trying to spray it but pigment particles are sticking in the tip and separating from the water carrying them. You could try to filter it but IMO, best choice is usually to give up and buy airbrush paint for the Iwata. Console yourself with the thought that the Iwata has a superfine spray that uses very little paint to apply a color to a crankbait. You save on the amount of paint bought although it costs more.

Go buy some createx.....they come ready to spray, no thinning needed. Learn what your brush "sounds like"....once you learn this you will quickly know when something is wrong. Rinse with hot water between colors. If if quits spraying remove paint and run hot water through it. If it's still clogged removed the needle and spray hot water through it. Generally the biggest problems end up being in the tiny barrel tip, clean this with a toothpick and be careful not to damage it or the needle. Always clean the brush before putting it away and don't use solvents, it will ruin some brushes.

Spray at about 45 psi, buy about 5 basic colors and they will last you for dozens and dozens of lures.

RM