saint308

Getting Legal

Hey Chris, Give me a call when you get a chance. ( you have my number ) I can walk you through everything you need. I didn't forget your link, the girl is comming on Thursday to get me e mail straight and I have a list for her. Thanks, Joe

Hey guys,

First time poster, long time lurker.

Just curious why it is so important to 'get legal'.

I am getting ready to start my own bait co. I am in Michigan and do hand poured gobies, and some other stuff like stick baits, jig trailers, creatures, and shakey worms. But my real money is in the gobies. I was recently contacted by a large distributor who wants to order 6400 baits off me to distribute into local tackle stores. Apparently he got ahold of my baits from a pro who was using them in the FLW tournament we had here recently on the Detroit River/Lake Erie.

So i got to thinking, i better 'get legal'. I called my personal accountant and she got to work looking into it. But she called me back and said the only thing i had to do was register my name so no one else could market under it but me. She also said that since i am not providing a service, i do not need to do anything with taxes.

Help me out. i want to make sure i am covered but i dont know anything about it. I tried reading on a website about it, but its like the wrote it in a different language. Im not a simpleton, i just dont translate all the legal mumbo jumbo real well.

When you say 'get legal', what exactly do you mean?

Thanks in advance!

NemesiS himself:drool:

First off, you may want to consider getting a new accountant. You may not have to collect sales tax if you are selling to someone who is going to resell the item, but you are going to have to pay taxes on the income you earn. With that said, there are also tax benefits afforded to you as a business owner. You can possibly write off computer, internet, part of mortgage for the space you use, mail electricty, phone etc. This is just some parts of it. I would consider finding a good CPA and discussing it with them. That is a very short version. Saint.

Hello, I too am from michigan and have owned a few small bussiness in the past, To be totally legel in mi you will have to file or obtain a d.b.a.form (doing bussiness as) from your local county clerks office. That will protect your name in that county only! You will also need a tax i.d. number and your accountant should get that for you. You r supposed to pay the tax on everything you sell if you r legal! Cash works great tho! GL