Whitedog

Crankbait lip source

I've been hanging around absorbing knowledge from you folks for several weeks now and have been building baits for a couple of months. Trying to build lures has made me appreciate that there are some real artists here. If I ever build something worthy I will post a picture, that hasn't happened yet but they do catch a fish now and then which is a real thrill.

I am having a problem locating lips of the type I prefer. I like the style lip used in the Bagley Deep Killr b2. I see them in some custom baits but can't find a source. Do any of you know a supplier? I have bought from Jann's and Stamina but they aren't the same lip.

I never find just the right ready-made lip when building a crankbait. You might check Ebay where some factory leftovers are occasionally sold. But it's not hard to do your own from a sheet of polycarbonate or circuit board. All you need is a lip outline, some inexpensive metal shears to rough cut the shape and a Dremel with a fine sanding cylinder to exactly shape the lip. Takes about 10 mins. The polycarbonate or circuit board costs a few bucks from mcmaster.com for a 1'x1' sheet which will do alot of lips. And they are much more durable than the molded plastic originals.

I like both and agree CB has definite performance advantages like quicker dives and better rebound off solid cover. On the other hand, PC is clear and doesn't enlarge the bait's perceived size as much as translucent CB. I see some commercial makers now build deep divers with large CB lips. Brian's Crankbaits and Sisson are examples. I'm trying both but not sure 1' deeper dive is worth the bigger perceived size. Of course, that sort of implies I know how bass think. Not likely, but ya gotta base decsions on something.

Thanks for the replies. I've built a couple using circuit board and agree that there is a depth advantage. My reasoning for wanting this particular lip is that I mainly river fish and the four to six foot depth it gets with the balsa lure size I am building is just right and by having a poured lip I figure I can get a consistent lure and action. I have trimmed down some larger lips also and that's ok I was just hoping someone knew of a manufacturer producing these lips. Before I got addicted to balsa sawdust I was a real fan of the Bagley baits and still am but I just love fishing with something I built crude though it may be.

BASSSJ

I don't know about the best way but I hold it tight to the bottom side of the lip then use CA glue with a squirt of accelerator to glue it to the bottom side of the lip before I start trying to run the wire through the bait.

Dean,

I'll agree about not trying to reach a price point. When asked about selling one of my lures my standard reply is "you'd never be able to afford them with the time involved. I might give you one but I sure won't sell them".

Honestly I think it's not more than 1 ft of depth on a deep diver. That extra foot may be important for somebody, but not me. The extra depth is due to the thinness of the micarta and nothing else. I don't like it because it makes a 3" crankbait look like a 5" crankbait. For shallow crankbaits that you're constantly running into cover, things are different. The fact that micarta's not clear is not much of an issue with a short lip and it has a much better, sharper rebound off hard cover. JMHO.

JBlaze,

JawJacker is correct, it is the same thing as Super Glue. I order it in larger sizes from Tower Hobby rather than just the little tubes. They also have a produce called CA- I'm trying. It is a super glue that sets up slower. I'm trying it for glueing hooks and lips in. Works good but I haven't put it to the fishing test yet to see if it holds in a real world situation.

whitedog there are only a few manufactures of ca glues most of the ca glues are bought in bulk and packaged in a middle mans container and sold as there own product when in fact its made in only a few places in the states so if one is using say a product that i use called zap and you are using the one from tower hobby chances are we are using the same thing since there are only a few formulas of ca glues which are a fast set that penetrates into the wood and a gap filling which does exactly what it implies it builds up to fill in spaces hope this clears up a few things as for how much i think the difference in poly vs fiber lips will gain in depth i dont think it will gain more than a foot or two in depth the major difference will be in the sound or the deflection of the crankbait when it strikes an object say like rock it will sound different it will make a higher pitch sound because it is a harder material than poly which is soft

I think the main reason that Circuit board dives sharper is because its about half the thickness of polycarbonate. Most bass sized baits use 1/16" polycarbonate and the circuit board used the most is about 1/32". Its the sharper leading edge that improves diving.

You got it there Bobby. Sand and polish your lexan lips down and the observable behavior differences between CB and polycarbonate lips go away, I've compared the two many times with like lures...& you aren't going to flex a lexan lip pulling through it the water at cranking speed, just because it is more flexible than micarta when bending it with your fingers...just like brass wire doesn't make a crankbait hunt.

Dean