Cliff

Deeep Cranks

Any tips on getting crankbaits to hit 20'+ ? I have had alot of trouble making the smaller muskie sized baits (4" ) hit this depth on less than 100' of 10# diameter line trolling. I know some of you bass lure guys have made lures alot smaller that will exceed this on the cast. Short of using a bowling ball as a ballast weight and attaching a snow shovel to the front of the lure, I've tried just about everything I can think of !! Thanks for any help. Cliff

A Rapala Tail Dancer Deep trolls 20-25 ft deep on 14 lb Fireline and is about the right size. Most bass baits that run 15-20' deep on a cast will troll 25+ ft. Large wide lips. But whether the body shape is to your (or the muskies') liking is another matter. The Tail Dancer has a minnow shaped body that the pike in Canada loved when I tried it. I'll try making just about anything but Rapala makes them so well and sells them at a very competitive price, so ....

The best thing that you can do is make sure that everything is straight. Body, lip, hook hangers, etc. This is one of the biggest problems that most people have. If everything is straight and in line then that will help alot. Making sure that the lip is square is another thing that will help. If you know that you have a long enough lip, then the next thing is chest weighting (loading) the bait. You have to know what you are doing and be real familiar with your bait. But it can help.

Skeeter

Sorry, this is sort of simplistic, but not yet mentioned:

A) decrease lip angle

B) move line tie back a little.

Either may get you another foot or two depending on design, although action may suffer.

Also, from a non-design standpoint, longer casts result in achieving greater time at depth up to a point, and if you hold rod tip down you can gain a few feet.

Clemmy

Thanks for all the replies. Just got back from the lake testing the latest version. I tried a lip simlar to the new Sisson p-20 and had great results. Hit 22' on 80' of line on the troll. It's a pretty good sized lip, but had a nice tight action with a slight roll and did'nt have as much pull as I thought it would.

Cliff