borderbasser

apple barrel and bluegills

I am new to airbrushing/painting and was wondering if anyone has had any experience painting a bluegill pattern with Apple Barrel paints. I am mainly trying to figure out what should be my main body color and back/stripe combination should be. I have fooled around some here the last few days and have been unsatisfied with my color combos. If anyone has any experience with this brand, could you reccomend any colors to try? At the present I am using a borrowed Pasche and the apple barrel paints to see if this whole airbrushing thing is for me or not. If so, I plan to venture out and spend some money on some of the taxidermy paints and a brush of my own. Anyway, any help or reccomendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tough question. There are lots of variations in bluegill patterns, and lots of variations in live bluegills. Take a look at the hardbait pics to see if any are close to what you're looking for. I can only suggest you experiment with the paint to mix something that is close to what you feel the colors should be. As long as you get the bars on there and the accent colors close to realistic, the bass will probably approve. At least Apple Barrel is relatively cheap. You can wash it off and try again if you're not satisfied.

Borderbasser, the Apple Barrel paint is basic crafters paint.. Try something of a higher quality like Createx or House of Kolors, your airbrush will love you for it.. I use enamels on my lures but have used Createx & House of Kolors for T-shirts and they will meet your needs far better than Apple Barrel..Enjoy the airbrush painting, loads of fun for everyone~

John..

Here is what I was able to come up with with the Apple barrel paints I had on hand (or at least the ones my wife had!) I am not too satisfied, but it is not too bad either considering it was my first time using an air brush. The finish has a little green and blue hilite powder mixed in. It is pretty hard to see in the pic, but in person it gives a nice irredescent affect. One thing about it, it does swim great. Thanks for the advice guys.

TJ