Bowman

Assembly order

Hello all,

I am new to this art of lure making and I have been pondering the most effecient wat to assemble my cranks. After researching previous posts it seems that most everyone agrees on cutting lip slots and marking tie, weight and hook hangers before sanding. However there seems to be some differing on when to install the hardware.

In what order do you guys prefer to assemble/paint your cranks.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Bo

I don't think it matters as long as you get everything straight and everything done before clearcoating. For hardwood lures, I drill all the holes before shaping but glue everything but the lip just before I waterproof and paint. I scribe a centerline around the lure while it's still "square" to make sure the holes will be straight. If I shape the lure before drilling, that line might disappear. I install the lip just before I clearcoat so it won't get marred. In the meantime, I use a "false lip" with a hole drilled in it during waterproofing and painting. It's just a square piece of lip material with a hole drilled in the end. The false lip keeps waterproofing and paint out of the lip slot, gives you something to clamp onto with forceps while painting, and the hole is handy for hanging the bait to dry. For a secure friction fit, I use a little masking tape as needed.