b75nweav

epoxy fix..........

Well, painted my best bluegill ever on a rapala dt 6 and decided to use the 2ton epoxy instead of the 5min. I kept rotating about every min for about 20min and it was looking great but after about an hour I noticed it was a little thin on the top and one spot underneath the lip. The next day it looked more obvious so I decided to try and fix it with the 5 min.......Dont try it, it doesnt work.........What do you guys do when this happens to you......?Hell of a way to finish off a crank bait.

I think 5 min repairs will yellow and show up. IMO, 5 min just won't level properly. If you're used to 5 min, anything else seems thin but 2T is thicker than just about any other popular clearcoat epoxy. I do a single coat. If you run into a fisheye or void, you can sometimes patch it if you're a clearcoat artiste but often the best thing to do is recoat the whole bait. Thicker is not better.... it's just thicker. If the bait is fully coated and neat looking, I don't care how thin it is. Epoxies are naturally very durable. And loading on a bunch of epoxy usually has bad effects on crankbait performance.

Same here. If you get abit of a flaw, don't worry about it. The second coat of 2T will go on easier & take care of it. Sometimes a little light sanding the spot will benefit it. On smaller lures, with a little practice, you can get most with one coat. On big Musky lures I almost always put on 2 coats & sometime 3 before I'm satisfied. More suface area is just harder to put on perfect.