clemmy

laminating baits

Ok, so I tried laminating a bait. I thought, why not just use some of the Devcon 5 -min I had spare, of course I put too much on, it oozed out and I didn't notice it. Now I've a bait with a clamp glued on weighting system. What are you guys that are laminating using? Epoxy? Gorrila? Elmers Wood?

And how to make sure a good seal/adhesion without overflow.

And too keep from sticking? Wax paper?

Thanks!

Clemmy

I've been using elmers wood glue. You'll get no arguement from me that Gorrilla glue is stronger than wood glue however, the bond that wood glue creates is stronger than the wood itself. Therefoe it would seem that anything stronger would be overkill (FYI, I have experience in woodworking but not luremaking. If any of the more experienced posters can disprove my line of thinking I would love to hear it). I just put and ample amount of wood glue down on both surfaces and spread it around with some blue shop paper towels making sure the entire surface area is covered. clamp between a couple of 2 x 6's and wipe away the excess.

O.K. I'm a little slow but, it just occured to me that you are probably talking about putting an individual lure back together after installing a thru wire or some other hardwire as opposed to laminating two different types of wood together. If so, please excuse my tardiness on getting the point. However, I would still like to hear the reasoning as to why use an expanding polyurethane glue in place of wood glue.

Bowman,

What Bobby said...I use balsa, and the stronger you can make a balsa lure with wire running down the center of it, the better off you are (you're bonding the wire also, which will prevent potential loosening). If you were using maple and eyescrews, the Elmers would be perfect, and the urethane glue would indeed be superfluous.

Dean

I am not a guru but I do tend to overbuild just like most of the other custom guys.

Your right about the bond with regular glue is stronger than the wood fibers but the expanding glues also penetrate into the wood fibers a little more. This further reinforces the integrity of the bait without adding much weight to the bait. Think of it as a backbone for the bait, between the wire and the glue the bait is much stronger.

Also the polyurethane glues cure faster than most of the yellow wood glues which is another positive for me.