feldermannLures

Epoxy ?

I just started making hard baits this past couple of weeks after reading so much about it on here. i started out making a simple Rat-L-Trap for ease, I painted it a few days ago with model enamel paint and let it dry over night the coated it with some epoxy i had from a previous project (not sure what brand, it was bought from Lowe's) Well, I've let it sit for 2 days now and the epoxy still hasn't cured its still somewhat sticky to the touch. Any ideas why this isn't setting and what i can do to fix it? Thanks in advance.

One or both of two things happened..You say it is a epoxy,so I assume it is two part.You either didn't get equal amounts of the resin and hardner or if you did you didn't mix them well enough together.

This is a easy fix.Mix another batch correctly and recoat.Rattle traps sink anyway so the additional weight of two coats isn't a issue..Nathan

You say the epoxy is from a past project, HOW past, resins go off after about 12 months, especially after being opened. I would mix another batch and test it on something disposable before spending another couple of days poking and cleaning a sticky mess. Hang in there and it will fall into place. pete

I got home last night and carefully mixed another batch, making sure to use equal parts and mixed it really good. That was about 6:30 last night, i went down and checked it this morning around 7am and same thing, still kinda tacky. Im using 60 minute LocTite Epoxy from Lowes. Its not that old, i bought it less than a month ago. Last time i was at Lowes i didnt see any Devcon epoxy, i think i read on here that you can get Devcon at walmart, so im gonna stop by there tonight and pick some up.

Dont know if anyone has ever tried this or not.. but if you get one that is tacky.. take a hair dryer to it.. sometimes that works!! It will loosen it up and in a hour or so it might dry hard and no sticky.. If that doesnt work.. TRASH IT!! But a good rule of thumb on the epoxy mix is... MIX IT TILL IT LOOKS MILKY!! If it looks milky you did a good job!! if it looks clear..keep mixing! :yeah:

But what do I know.. Im

THE_ROOKIE!!