• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 clamboni

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:55 AM

I don't think I think thoughts through thoroughly enough.

On another board I visit regularly, we have a smiley that just shakes his head.......

#22 FishThanks

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:26 AM

Hi guys, just a thought. Plastic contracts and expands a lot in temperature changes. If the bait was cracking at the seam when it contracted in cold water it could be taking on water. Does it sink faster on the first cast? I read somewhere years ago about putting a bait in fairly hot water on the stove and if it is leaking the warm air will expand out the leak showing bubbles so you can repair the area.

#23 Vodkaman

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,109 posts
Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:40 AM

If it was dry for the first cast and assuming it was designed as a floater, then it would lose buoyancy as it took on water.

The hot water test would work, but I would be more afraid of creating a problem with the technique than solving a problem.

The expanding air, pushing its way out, will force good seal surfaces apart, thus creating a problem. Contracting air inside the lure will tend to close the good seal surfaces, a bit like a non-return valve. If the seal surface is damaged, then water will get in.

Hope that made sense.

#24 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:48 PM

Speaking of hot water, some guys actually boil lipless rattle baits to expand out their sides and give them a different action and more rattle. Plastic baits are usually welded ultrasonically so the joints are as strong as the rest of the bait's body.