Bowman

Line tie nose vs lip

A question for the board. I have noticed that there are two different theories on line tie placement. Some put the line tie in the nose of the crankbait body while others put the line tie in the lip. At first glance to the untrained eye(such as mine) it would seem that the tie in the nose would cause a steeper downward angle due to the fulcrum being closer to the center of the bait.

I guess my real question is, does the placement affect the action of the bait or is it just a matter of preference?

Thanks to all who respond.

Bo

Yes the line tie placement affects the bait's action. It's not really a choice. Baits designed to dive up to about 5 ft usually have line ties on the bait body. Deeper divers usually have line ties on the lip. It gets harder to control a "nose tie" bait as the lip length increases. Somewhere around a 5' diver, they start to become uncontrollable and it's time to put the tie out on the lip. You'll see the principle play out if you take a look at the commercial crankbaits in your tackle box and note where the line ties change over from body to lip.