mrbass

basstrix paddle tail tubes

Some of you guys want to dip them, I forgot to mention( in the first page posts) instead of going to a machine shop and getting an insert made for the tail shape, or wasting lots of time molding one you can very easily do it yourself in a few minutes.

if you look at the tail you will see its nothing more than the shape and size of a colorado spinner bait blade, fabricate this into your knife , braze it, solder it or what ever and you have it done. spinner bait blades are pretty darn cheap.

You can goto the stanima website and look under colorado blades and see what I am talking about, there are a lot of different sizes as well, so if you want a 6" size tail on a 4" size bait just get the right blade. Most of the blades I have on my spinner baits are cupped, I don't know if stanima's blades are cupped.

you also can use a bigger blade so the plastic doesnt form around the blade when dipping.

the 4" bass trix bait has a tail of about 1 1/16"

the 5" bass trix bait has a tail of about 1 1/8"

the 6" bass trix bait has a tail of about 1 3/16"

these are close but not dead on as every tail varies on the org. bait about 1/16" of an inch and more due to the bait is dipped.

• Like 1

Just ordered my blades last week lol, I did some tubes with the 3D eyes today....very easy to do. I've disected a few of the Basstrix paddletail swimbaits and I can see why they are so expensive (apart from the demand which has inflated the pricing).

There are 4 separate layers in most colour schemes and the scale detail is done with a rub on stencil, not sprayed. Also the pearls and irridesent powders used are both brushed/stenciled on as well as mixed in in certain layers. The guy that created these is truly an artist, not many will be able to copy his technique. I think he will be safe for a while as the time and effort to taken to create this bait will have high labour costs. I'm still going to give it a shot :lol:

What diameter is the hollow tube part of the cavity,on a 4 inch long size bait?

Has anyone tried to get a scale pattern by setting the bait on newspaper type print?Not the high clay content of magazine print.I noticed that if I set my tubes on the newspaper it picks up the print after a time.Seems this could be adapted to transfer a scale pattern on to a bait.As far as the multiple dips,it is slower by far,but a lot of my tubes are three,and four colors.At the high cost,making them for your self could be an option.

What diameter is the hollow tube part of the cavity,on a 4 inch long size bait?

Has anyone tried to get a scale pattern by setting the bait on newspaper type print?Not the high clay content of magazine print.I noticed that if I set my tubes on the newspaper it picks up the print after a time.Seems this could be adapted to transfer a scale pattern on to a bait.As far as the multiple dips,it is slower by far,but a lot of my tubes are three,and four colors.At the high cost,making them for your self could be an option.

The thickness of a kitchen knife. in all the 4 5 and 6" baits, matter of fact the inside of the bait if you cut it open carfully is pretty close to the same shape as a kitchen knife.

for painting stuff your best bet is to talk to the guys on the crankbait forum, they are artist when it comes to painting with detail.

Delw

Mike

I've used the kitchen knife for dipping, had to grind on a few spots to get the tail right.

you might want to use Alum if your going to dip it from start to finish, as the stainless will hold the heat in making longer cycle times in between dips, at least the kitchen knife did vs a alum plate.

Also this is very important when you cut or grind your knife/plate make sure you polish the edges and have no shart angles, this will make it a lot easier to pull it out when your finished. Remember that hole in the tail is about 10x smaller than the widest part of the body.

also found its easier to pull the knife out when your bait is still warm or in Arizona's case set them in the 100º sun for a few mins. the plastic will stretch much better.

Looks like I'm fixn to get more gray hair.Thanks guys.

:lol::lol::drool::eek::sauced:

Yup, its funny till you think about it

Del, I used the grinder to form a body last night. That tail section really thins it out, I don't know if Alum would last getting it that thin (still a good idea)...just waiting for my blades now.

I have been very busy working on the ebook,so I have not tried to dip any paddle tails.I'm thinking that I would coat the aluminum with JB weld,and dip quickly into the plastic,and make probably no less than three dips,so I could have a back color,and the final dip would be after a thin pointed end rod would be inserted(after removing the original dipping mold),I keep thinking of this as a tube,that after the mold is removed I would have a opening at the nose of the bait,which means there would be a fourth dip with the plastic dripping to the nose,and sealing it.Might have to super glue the nose shut before the last step.There is no doubt that the dipping forms would have to have a good coat of a Pam type lube,so that the rods can be stripped.Very labor intensive.

Bob's swims are real close to these baits and the action is nearly the same. Only problem with Bob's is that the belly is deep and the hook that is being used with these baits will not work as well...

I'll post my modified bait up in a few days when I finish the prototype.

I am just making a mold so I have a few to fish. Hope these end up better producers than the chatter type baits... Mudfish is all they catch for me:censored:

Jim