anderson_dc

Question about glow powder paint

I ran my first batch of glow red powder painted jigs last week and they kind of seem dull on my jigs. Do you guys put a base coat down first before applying the glow paints? Do you use white or have you tried the "glow" colored powder paint in place of the white?

I ran a pumpkin colored batch through and it didnt really need to have a base coat, is that true for most florescent colors?

Also, the glow red really stunk of sulphur. Is that normal?

I haven't used the glow colors except for white and it's not really white, it's more of a cream color and it is dull, I've also tried the glow overcoat on other colors and it has the same effect, it seems to make the color dull. As for the sulfer smell, it sounds as though you are using too much heat because I don't get any odors unless the lure is too hot and gets the paint smoking.

On just glow powder, it does kind of look like cream, until you put light on it. I always use a white base on just plain glow powder. Also believe it or not, you have to put a lot of glow powder on a jig for it to glow. If you do it right and put on thin coats, it is not un-common to put on 4 - 6 coats of glow. And yes it will last for several hours, when put under a bright light. As far as the sulphur smell, I don't have that problem. What brand of glow are you using?