Bester

Circuit Board lips

Circuit board is just what it says - a board made from nonconductive material on which electronic components are mounted to create circuits. It is made in various grades, from various materials but the most popular for lips is G-10 Garolite. G-10 is a fiberglass cloth substrate with a heat set epoxy resin filler. It is quite durable, thin, waterproof and very stiff. Thin lips dive quicker and get a bit deeper. G-10 lips rebound more sharply off hard cover than polycarbonate (eg Lexan). McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com) sells G-10 and G-11 (even harder and stiffer) sheets in various sizes. Their 1'x1' sheets are convenient. G-10 is variously colored. M-C's G-10 is yellow, their G-11 is a yellowish green. I get small sheets of white (slight green tint) G-10 at www.asp-rocketry.com. There is no free lunch. For the improved physical properties of G-10, you give up the transparency of Lexan. G-10 has become very popular for bass crankbaits, especially shallow divers, but you also see it used in some of the newer deep divers.

Blackjack, The guy who got me started with circuit board wanted it precisely for its sharp rebound off rocks. He claims, as do a lot of experienced guys, that it triggers more bites than Lexan in those circumstances. The guy who returned the bait to you must have fished the snot out of it to wear the lip round. I assume it was catching fish and wonder what he would choose? I try Lexan and G-10 on various baits to see how each performs and favor G-10 on shallow baits and Lexan on deep divers. Admitedly, we're looking at it from opposite ends of the builder spectrum, which tends to inculcate different biases.

I tried to shape some G-10 with my cut-off wheel a while back. It took me a long time to get nowhere.

I'm with Bob on this one.

OK, I took a break while typing, and started the Dremel up. I tested the G-10 again. I was able to cut a 1/4" steel rod almost as fast as as I made it through a piece of 1/32" thick by 1" wide G-10 (FR4). I can't see how anyone could hit enough rock to round a lip off.

I am not sure what type of saw blade you have or what type of circuit board you are using but I stack my lip pieces (6 High) and cut them out on the bandsaw and then shape them with a sander. I am using .040 thickness. I have seen cranks(handmade lexan, circuit board and major manufacturers baits)that were used cranking rip-rap all day and were worn down to nubs. I' will see if I can find the pic of the bait he emailed me before he mailed it.

Neither Blackjack, Maddox Bay, or I said it was our opinion that circuit board wears faster than lexan on rocks. I believe we all inferred that it was a fact based on our personal observations. You can choose to believe we're all lying, and that would be odd, as we all build using both materials, but I can accept it; however, I am not going to argue about it. I just wanted to help a forumite choose the best material for his lures.

So everyone, be happy!!!

Dean

blackjack bobby and dean are correct that g-10 wears it is a personal prefference as to which material you want to use it should be choosen as to what type of fishing you will be doing both materials are great and you cant go wrong with these materials so which one you use is your choice here in east tennessee most of the pros want g-10 its just a prefference among them they seem to get more strikes with the g-10 than with polycarbonate

I didn't mean to come off as critical about choosing either lip material and don't see a post in the thread questioning anyone's veracity. Every builder is different and has different opinions about many build factors, not just this one. CB may wear faster on rocks but IMO that doesn't mean it's too fragile for rocks. Depends on how you rate performance factors. Fishing rocks is exactly when I want to throw a CB lipped bait. I like durability as much as the next guy but crankbaits are expendable tools. I expect to wear them out or lose them eventually.