Brine

What have I got myself into now?

Well, I see that the site is being rebuilt, and I assume there were some tutorials prior to the change over, so I need some help. :yes: If anyone has a link or two to some tutorials, I would appreicate it. I have scoured the site and the internet, and have found very few step by step instruction on building a crankbait from scratch. Can some one steer me in the right direction???

Yes, a lot of stuff was lost. But, to be honest, you will get a lot more satisfaction and knowledge if you get stuck in and design your own.

All the information is here under the search function. If you cannot find something, just ask and the answer will be delivered.

What kind of baits are you contemplating, wooden cranks, plastics or wire baits, not to forget fly tying?

The temptation is to progress your first creation right to the end, with a fabulous paint job and a nice glossy top coat. Only to find that it swims like a pigs tail and is only good for the display cabinet.

If you did this, you would not be the first, I did it as did many of the members here. In fact, if the first one works, either you have done your homework or it is a fortunate occurance.

There are lots of features that can be adjusted to affect the performance of the built lure, the main ones being eye location, lip size, weight position. Two of these can be adjusted at the waters edge, namely lip size and eye position.

By making the lip larger than you think is correct, it can be trimmed down with simple hand tools, I invested in a battery Dremel drill, this makes the job very easy. The second adjustment, the eye position, can be achieved by making the eye loop stick out about 3/8 inch. It looks ugly, but we are only dealing with a prototype. You will be amazed at the effectof bending the eye up or down.

When it swims how you want it, you can go back to the workshop and build your first lure with confidence.

The next tip is to keep notes of every thing, the adjustments, lip measurements and there effects. Don't throw the failures away, sit and stare at them until you know exactly what went wrong. If you cannot work it out, post a pic and ask for help.

The best tip of all, is to have fun. If it is not your style, none of the above is compulsory. ENJOY.

Thanks Vman. I'll try to work thru the paticulars before posting a question in an effort to work thru it. In the meantime, given what I've said thus far, what species of wood do you suggest I start with for a while. I've read on the positive and negatives on some, but wondered if the experienced would have a unanimous pick.

Thanks in advance!

Good advice from the V-Man, Brine! As far as wood choice, you probably know what kind of wood those lipped, round-bodied cranks are made from, so you might as well begin with what it is you'll prefer to throw. There is no real easier or more difficult, just different, so you should choose the wood you know you'll be using, and work from that point forward; buiding a crank from balsa is simply different from building one from cedar, or casting one from foam, which is one reason that generic crank building instructions, if you can find them, may or may not apply to the material with which you are working.

Dean

Longball, fair dig, ouch.

The search engine is a very useful tool, but I still firmly believe that we should not fob off new members with just the search engine. It is also a good thing to re-visit old subjects, they often stir up the new ideas, which is a primary function of this site.

New members are only new to this site, they are not necessarily inexperienced and often can place a new perspective saddle on an old donkey. So bring it on Brine.