Bester

For you guys that turn wood lures

If you run a search in the threads, the archives will have plenty of info on the duplicators for sure..Seen plenty of posts on the subject in the past.. I use a 36" Vega duplicator, works great, and they do have a smaller version for 12" lathes too.. I dont make cranks tho, I turn Pikie bodies out the wazoo with mine & all are quite exact duplicates of eachother..

John

I got lucky when I bought my Vega 36" dupl., It was a display model to begin with at WoodCraft in Pittsburgh,Pa.. The store had no plan to restock the large dupl & it was marked down from $738 to $570.. They were also having a one day half off sale too so I got for like $285.. They threw in the optional Diamond "V" cutter kit too.. I was surprised how easily the Vega mounted to my old Sears/Roebuck 1949 lathe!..They definitely speed up the lure turning process when you're making multiple blanks..

John

Bester. sounds like you're making timber lures and i'm stuffed as to know what a craftsman lathe is. The craftsman is the bloke in charge of the tools after all.

I'm still not quite in touch with the lingo you fellas use but i'd imagine a crank to be round in shape like what us aussies would call a popper.

I'm a fitter and turner by trade in case you think i'm leading you down the garden path.

I make all my form tools from hss and machine ally with it so i can't see you needing carbide unless the timber you use is harder than steel!

cheers birdy

Brian like i said i'm a fitter and turner as well, I don't claim to be the worlds greatest machinist nor did i claim that you would get 5X the life out of HSS V's tungsten.

There's an upside and a downside to everything when you put something up against another

and the carbide tool is the go for ripping down and tough turning.

For all the lumber sculpters out there that may be wondering which tooling to use.

*tungsten carbide is harder and will last longer than hss.

*tungsten carbide has to be silver souldered onto the tool first, cooled slowly (otherwise it can crack) then ground to shape.

*Tungsten carbide is a lot harder to grind to shape than hss

*tungsten carbide is more expensive than hss

cheers birdy

Eastenlu no worries i know what you're on about indexable inserts are cemented carbide inserts which is different to tungsten carbide,

The way brian's post read sounded like you had to make the cutting tool though rather than just index, or is brian refering to the toolholder that he got made? why not just buy one?

I've got a heap of different form tools ground up from tool steel to make a particular shape instead of using a duplicating attachment, i just plunge in with the right shape form tool and the profile is done providing the tool has been ground to the right shape.