- - - - -

How to make a hollow body lure with bead inside.......

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 petrading

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:04 AM

All the Sifus (Masters) of UT,
This forum is so great, just like a gigantic lure library.......Been reading through for months.
Here myself, a noob, trying to get information of making a hollow body lure with bead inside, how to do it? I saw this thread from CrawChuck - Slip molds for hard baits tutorial really helpful & some other unmentioned threads.
A step by step tutorial would be great.
Here I wanna apologize for my poor english.........
Thanks alot~!

#2 Vodkaman

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,111 posts
Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:15 AM

Lazaro wrote an interesting tutorial within a thread on rattles a while back. It may give you an idea or two.

When you find a solution, publish it here for all.

#3 feldermannLures

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:21 AM

The way i've been doing it is cutting my bait in half, as perfect as i can. Then taking my dremel tool and cutting out a cavity, on both halves, of equal size, make sure its long enough and deep enough that the BB's can move in all directions Add the BB's and epoxy the 2 halves together. Be careful when epoxying the 2 halves together not to get any glue in the cavity or the BB's could stick. This produces a good rattle, not as good as the BB's being in a metal/glass container though...

Vman, thanks for the link. Im gonna give that a shot on my next lure.

#4 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:07 PM

I depends on the wood you're using. Balsa is a natural sound deadening material and it's soft so I just insert a pre-made rattle in it. There are more options for hardwood. Another method is to drill a hole through the bait, glue on a cap cut from a Plaster of Paris can on one side, insert the beads, then glue a cap on the other side. Plaster of Paris cans cut easily with sissors. I cut a slight recess around the hole for the caps to fit into, then use wood filler to make them disappear. This creates a loud rattle as the metal caps act like drum heads just under the lure's finish. It is more labor intensive than inserting a pre-made rattle. A tip - when you put in the beads and glue on the 2nd side cap, keep the lure laying flat on a table and don't lift it until the epoxy has cured. You don't want beads getting glued if a bit of epoxy sneaks its way into the cavity. And use the epoxy sparingly. Don't worry - it will hold.

#5 fatfingers

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:57 PM

You could also consider using larger glass rattles like the bass guys use on jigs and plastic baits.

You drill a hole in the bait, insert the glass rattle, and then seal the hole with plumbers putty and sand it off smooth.

#6 Tally

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:00 PM

you might try using bondo on the inside of the wood cavity. DON'T use too much. it makes a nice rattle chamber even on the dead sounding woods. tip from a wood carver buddie told me about it.

#7 Mags

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:08 PM

I just made a nice rattle. I used two 22 caliber shell casings. I drilled a hole through the bait. I cut the shells so one fit in each side of the bait. I used a steel BB from a number two shotgun shell as the rattle. The steel against the brass is very loud. The base of the shell sticks out a little, but no big deal.