hazmail

Stairway to Heaven

Last weekend I was trying to reclaim some space in the back shed, so I would be able to put a drying cabinet in. Beside all the lures hanging around the walls, I came across a few old cake tins in the coupboards etc, with some of my old (go back 25- 30 yr) original lures- many shapes / colors and from memory, degree's of effectiveness- lots of memories here.

I never ever thought of taking photos of any of my lures (until recently), which means I don't have any idea what a lot of the color combos were. Anyway while dusting some of these prototypes off I was thinking that I should record them and I am probably not the only one to have boxes or all sorts of wood stashed away and forgotted.

This weekend I will be at it again and hopefully finish the clean up, but while I am at it, I am going to snap a few photos.

I was thinking of maybe posting a thread and photos here and anyone else who has a few pieces of memrobelia could also to do the same- It could be very interesting . I'm not at all embarrased in showing you where I started, you have to start somewhere. Looking at some of the lures, makes me realise how far things have come in that short time, in regard to coatings, shapes, lips etc and I am one who is still somewhere on that 'stairway to heaven'.

So if anyone is interested, post a reply and we will see what we get. I'm going to record mine anyway, because when I'm dead they will probably just chuck them out.

Because of the photo rules an the number of photos, I/we may have to use 'Photobucket' or something - (I try and stay away from Google pics- they take over your computer with huge programme files etc)

You never know, in 50 yrs some kid is going to say - ' Wow, remember when they used to catch fish, well this is what they had to use !!!' Pete

I think its a great idea.

You can see a lot of changes in building techniques in just the last two years here at TU. A lot of great info has been exchanged and it seems that everyone has not only run with whatever they've learned, they've added to it and given it all back to the forums too.

I enjoy looking at antique lures for similar reasons. Its a real hoot to look back and see how they approached things back then.

Interestingly, although the paints, materials, and methods have all improved, the hard bait today is largely similar to the hard baits of yesterday.

Here they are - funny how when I look at some of my old lures and colors, I realise how far I have strayed from what I had thought were the original colors. Also shows up how balsa is not too durable and how good the old timber floor sealer, compared to Auto clear coat was . ANY OTHER MEMORABILIA OUT THERE ???pete

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb290/hazmail/Old%20lures%20Late%2070s%20to%20early%2090s/

teaser :

Brine

As I said , you have to start somewhere and TU would have to be one of the best around, heaps of information in here. I must be the only one with any history though, 286 looks and no one else can come up with any, hard to believe -

Lots of 'black holes' out there, extracting info/ ideas but not sending anything back. pete

Gee Vince , you are a fast learner, even two years ago your finishes etc were out there. Is that a piece of pink wool embedded in the top coat, or what?? That second one looks like a good color combo, did you ever catch anything on it?

I think when we first start making baits, we don't particularly care about the finish, as long as they catch something and don't leak, then get carried away with trying to find perfection, very elusive, but you are getting close. Pete

Pete, that pink is paint. It's actually sign painting paint, which has a much thinker base and a lot more pigment in it. It sprays like any enamel thought.

I quit using it because it takes forever to stir it before you paint with it and its a lot more work to clean out of the brush between colors.

The other one was a bait I made out of solid plastic. I never fished that one so I can't say whether it would work or not. The bait didn't run right, and I won't fish with baits that I have to fool around with too much.

In mid-2005 I started with the hard baits. Prior to that I made only wire baits.

Here is some of my humble beginnings. The top image is a shrimp I made out of two-part epoxy that I shaped with my hands. The legs and antennae are made from bucktail, the long antennae from mono and the eyes from stick pins. The lure is designed to be fished under a bobber and believe it or not I caught a number of steelhead on this lure in the 80's........man I'm old.

The next pic of three small cranks is my first attempt at hard baits about 5 yrs ago. I remember taking them to a small pond not far from here and excitedly testing them.............none of them would swim. The green bait came soon after and it didn't swim either. :D

The glider at the bottom I made this year. The funny thing is that after building a few thousands lures I still feel like I am learning all the time. Lure-building for me is a wonderful journey.

Jed

shrimp.jpg

3buddies.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c48/RiverMan1/3buddies.jpg[/img

greeney.jpg

37.jpg

Jed.It's amazing how you get hooked and can't wait to make the next one, paint it all up and find it does not swim right or something. I think most of us learn to 'prove' the lure now before painting it.

Love your shrimp (They are called prawn's here), I bet you put hours into that - the Bream here would love em. As with most of us, I can see the progression of the top coats, I'm still struggleing with that !! Pete