Ogajiga

Switch from Ultra Point to Gami Jig Hooks?

Howdo, new guy here. Been holding at 32746 Ultra Points as my top end but noticed on this site that Gami jig hooks are the preferred premium with Owners close behind. So now I'm seriously considering upgrading and wondering if Gamakatsus are worth over 2x the price of Ultras, both as a user and commercial caster? Any opinions will be appreciated - Thank you.

IMHO, no

I sell ALOT of Mustads, and a few gammies.....most guys are ok with Mustad.

If you do upgrade, make sure that your customers are fully aware of the Gammie thing, and the correspondingly higher price for your products.

Some guys are die-hard gammie, and that is ok......I use them myself in certain products, but overall.....mustad has been good to us

hope this helps

JM

www.daimonlures.com

Mustads are big bang for the buck – but with the move to China.......

Some members have started noticing slight difference already. Don’t know if it compromises the quality expected from Mustad.

The BLN’s are a great hook, but like the Gamakatsu’s also.

Ditto Elken and Jigmaster.

I ditto ditto LedHead, Elken and Jigmaster as well. Gammies have always been noticeably somewhat sharper to me, but not worth the price. Mustad has always had a pretty good reputation in the industry. Move to China? If they don't put in a tight Quality Control system, they will end up losing in the end. Has anyone noticed all the recalls in this country lately that originated in China? How about the pet food and most recently of all things, lead in the paint on childrens toys, c'mon now who is not watching the store here? In the long run, was it all worth it? :flame: Now I will climb down off my soap box.

I respect and appreciate every opinion - keep em coming. Speaking of China, I just finished sorting out 250 or so bad point throwaways from a box of EC 635SR 1/0 which was a replacement sent by EC for 250 rejects returned to em from the last box. Also just returned EC 413 1/0 & 2/0 to Shortys unsorted when I pulled a few and saw the same problem. Heads up on EC O'Shaughnessys in the new blue eagle on white boxes without "made in USA" or "American made" labels.

I am sure there are some guys that read this board that are far more knowledgeable on hooks and manufacturing of same than I am......I do use alot of hooks, and can speak directly to that.

I have noticed the changes in Mustad recently......although I have yet to notice any change in performance. Given that China does not have the reputation as a quality shop yet, we may see some degredation in quality soon enough.

Truth be known, there are only about 4-5 hook manufacturers in the world, and they make all of the different hooks you see. The only real difference, I think, is the quality of the steel that is used.

as for the chinese recalls.......I find it astonishing that the American companies, such as Mattel, do not have consistent standards for their subcontractors.....I am a vet of the automotive industry, and I know from experience that the auto companies DEMANd accountability from the supply chain, in terms of material certifications, etc for all of their critical products, so I am somewhat concerned about the lack of control on overseas manufacturers. I think this is probably the crack in the armor of low-cost manufacturing, in the long run.

Anyway.......I will get off MY soapbox, too!

regards

JM

www.daimonlures.com

I believe Owners are worth every penny. They go into every Jig I make unless there is not a hook for it, ie Poison tail (I like the mustsds EWG compared to reg. bend on Owner on this hook).

This is the only alternate hook I use. Plus I can use them w/ a hitchiker for BuzzFrog type baits.

Owner Rig N Hooks for all my plastics. To me they cannot be beat for sharpness and strength.

Just my opinions

Mr B