tarakito

Shiny baits out of an RTV mold

After very much use, RTV molds always start producing matt finish baits.

Look at Poor Boy baits. Their baits have that matt look. It is a signature look for them. Not all bad.

Try brushing your RTV mold with worm oil first. Also just using worm oil on the baits after you pour them works.

I puchased some Silicone Oil and brush it into my RTV mold during and after I am done pouring baits, works great.

On your bait masters you might want to try painting them with thinned down epoxy (20 min epoxy plus alcohol) work the air bubbles out with your paint brush. As far as getting shiny baits out of the rtv molds, Jewelry supply stores offer silicone mold release spray. I'm a jewelry manufacturer and we used a product made by Castaldo called Jewelry Mold Release Spray. It is safe for rubber molds, food safe, Worker safe, and most importantly Non-ozone Depleting and non-explosive, it also works good on your fishing line to keep it limber and smooth casting.

Bassbug, thank you for the telephone number. I want the silicone oil to rejuvinate some used molds I bought on eBay.

Tarakito, as others have suggested, when I make my own molds in RTV, I coat the baked sculpey masters with Devcon and get a smooth finish when I pour. I don't know how long this smooth finish holds up in production use.

hey up there!

thanks for all your input - it``s highly appreciated.

you`re right - my masters (made of clay) have some tiny scratches (caused by sandpaper, polishing, etc.) and therefore the baits didn`t come out shiny. i tried to cover up the master with epoxy which is a pain in the arse imho. so i tried pop molds which are much much easier to fabricate and cheaper. i think, taht i`ll stick to pop for now.

cheers up,

Ian.