Willy

Wack rig..how to fish it??

Hi all,

I'm doin what I can to make and fish soft baits. I love swimbaits,

but I see so much mentioned about the WACKY RIG.

I understand how to rig it...but how do you fish it?

I fish salt water, but it seems many of the same techniques apply.

Any tips?

Thanks all,

Willy

Man I like the video but hate the hook choice, One thing I can tell you from personal experience is that weedguards on wacky rigged hooks will cost you fish. Not sure why but it does, sometimes it just interferes with the hookset, I also think it reeks havoc with the fall rate depending on what size hook you use. IMO, the best wacky rig hook out there is the 2/0 octopus hook, it's small, doesn't effect the action of the worm and the fish never know it's there, i rarely miss a fish that hits a wacky rig using those hooks, sure i'll get hung up and lose a bunch of hooks depending on where I'm fishing, but the results I have had speak for themselves. I have seen countless amounts of guys in tournamnets lose fish using weedguards, again just my personal opinion, what works for me might not work for others. I just think the offset of the octopus hooks really allows you to get that hook in good

As far as fishing the wacky rig you need to experiment, don't use one method, sometimes deadsticking works fantastic, other times bumping it as it falls all the way down is the way to go, sometimes you just let it fall and do a slow twitch.

Having someone say that this is the way you fish it .... isn't catching as many fish as he/she can, sorta like saying you throw out a spinnerbait and reel it back to the boat...let the fish decide what they want and how they want it. You will catch more fish, hell somtimes I just nose hook a 5 inch stick and jerk it back to the boat as fast as I can. One thing is certain...there is no wrong way to fish a wacky rig, again JMO

Take a 1/0 or 2/0 straight shank hook or a small #1 worm hook and open up a 3/0 or # 5 or 7 round split shot. Place the split shot over the hook as close to the eye as possible. Crimp with pliers. Insert hook in middle of trick worm or senko and chuck it overboard. When it hits bottom give it a few jerks and let it go to the bottom - now dead stick it. Let it lay for about 15 - 20 seconds. Slightly twitch it. Reel in a toss it overboard in another place. NOTE: if you get caught up in weeds, don't jerk it free immediately. Move the rod back and forth and keep the bait caught in the weeds. This often times attracts bass thinking the prey is caught. Now jerk it loose and hold on. JMHO of the subject. Works for me.

I fish a wacky rig A LOT... The best hook I have found is the 2/0 shiner hook from Gamakatsu... I use stick baits a lot but designed a sweet little 3" bait that really catches a bunch of fish!!! Toss your bait out and let it fall. If you don't get bit (I watch my line close), lift your rod AFTER counting to 10 and let the bait fall one more time. As previously stated, you usually get bit on the fall but sometimes that stillness then movement causes a strike.

Have fun!!!!

Jim

air.jpg

Get an o-ring to fit the outter diameter of the stix bait - 5/16 for a 4 inch senko type bait and slide it over the worm.

Then take a circle hook and slip it through the o-ring and the worm. Cast it out and leave some slack in the line.

When you see the line moving, simply reel in without setting the hook. The circle hook will catch in the corner of the fishes mouth.

Do not use a kirbed circle hook, since this reduces the circle hooks ability to avoid gut-hooking.

'O' rings, split rings, rubber bands for braces from dentists, etc (there was a previous post) or get some plastic tubing like water for "swamp" coolers or air tubing for instruments. Cut it into 1/8" 'O' ring strips. Just be sure you get the right size. Take your bait down to the hardware store or Wally world, and 'size' it. You'll be able to fish one senko for several fish instead of "1 for 1".