Lure--Prof

De-valued Lures

Have you guys noticed that someone is going through the Hard Baits Gallery and giving low star values to a bunch of very nice lures? It's happened more than once lately, and it doesn't appear to be someone who is responding with comments, much less criticism. For example, Fatfingers' post of the his 3 blue lures currently on page one are beyond reproach--any criticsm of these lures would just be personal opinion. He made these baits by hand, and they are stunning, with no visible faults...I rated them 5 stars as no doubt did the other's who posted comments, jusdging by their past ratings and comments. Someone came along and rated them something below four stars, to bring the current rating below five stars. Do I smell sour grapes somewhere?

If Fatfingers' posting of the 3 blue cranks doesn't warrant 5 stars, then no pics in the Hard Baits Gallery do either; and this picture is just one example.

:angry: Dean http://www.tackleunderground.com/photos/index.php?n=1076

I agree with Dean!!! These are some of the VERY best lures I've seen on this site. Now, of course, I'm partial to blue and have caught alot of trophy pike on this colour pattern.....:yeah:

If there are sour grapes among us who have something personal against a certain member, Heaven Forbid, then we all need to take a close look at ourselves. If you are only here for amusement and to play practical jokes on members who work hard at this craft, then I don't believe you are needed here.....:mad: Maybe try another site and leave this one to people who enjoy what they do and are proud enough of their efforts to show them in the gallery.

Dean, thank you for pointing this out. I have posted my first comment in the gallery and rated Fatfingers lures as well. This is the BEST site out there for luremaking. Let's keep it that way.....:yay:

Oldthunder

EagleLures.

Life is too short....FISH HARD!!!!

You know I have never rated a lure on TU despite having written comments many times. I never pay any attn to the rating system......if I like the lure or if I appreciate the effort that went into it I will leave a comment. I have never left a negative comment because what's good to me might not be good to someone else and all effort deserves recognition. I agree with you Dean about FF's lures, they are awesome and those cranks are no exception. I'm guessing that with a little detective work the moderators of TU could find out rather quickly who if anyone is purposely leaving lose scores.

Jed V.

I'm with Jed on this one who cares about the stars, I dig the comments wheter they be good or bad!!

yep, the comments are the ones to look for in improving your work, it's true that I've seen poorly rated nice lures, maybe someone wants to get on top :nono: cause sometimes you sort the lures by "top rating" , but if you are not a new member you already know all the lures so you're looking for new appearances

I know what you mean Dean!!! I have seen some killer lures on here not get the respect they are due!!! If I dont like something I just dont rate it!! Wasnt me!! I like Fatfingers!! Well I like him as a person.. those FINGERS are another story... THEY SCARE ME!!! If Im ever in a dark alley I want Fatfingers FIST ON MY SIDE!!!

The_Rookie

There are different "schools of crankbait making" among the luremakers on TU so star ratings don't seem especially useful. I'd hate for a luremaker to avoid posting a pic because he feared critical ratings. What can you tell from a photo? It's purty. It ain't. The judges that count all have fins and don't surf the web.

ps - Dang it, Dean, I thought your post was gonna turn us on to some great cheap crankbaits :)

Ha, sorry Bob, no bargains for you!

Once upon a time of course we had a 10 star system that was a little more useable. I agree that the comments are more important, and when someone asks for feedback, I tell them what I think. A five star rating system is really no more than an Attaboy! I don't rate every lure I look at, but I'll rate those that say to me that it is a very well done lure, that on a 100 point system I'd rate it at least a 95, I like giving its builder a nice pat on the back. If a lure strikes me as right at an 80, I'll give 4 stars.

What I noticed on Vince's picture of the 3 lures, was that someone had probably given him a 3 star rating to bring him down to 4 stars, and whoever rated it that way gave no explanation as to why his 3 lures deserved a 60% rating. That is very simply just wrong! An 8 out of ten or of course a 4 out of 5 on those lures, in my mind is also very wrong; if there are any flaws in these lures we cannot see them. So if someone is to be so critical as to rate these lures and others too so severely, the least they could do, it seems to me, is to step forward and tell us why in the comments section--if the critic thinks his low ratings are justifiable, he can give his reasons up for discussion. But it smells a lot like a dirty chicken coop to post a bunch of low ratings and say nothing.

Dean

I think it might make a better system if it showed how many votes the lure has.That would offer a better idea of the overall voting....I think.But I tend to agree that the comments are what I appreciate.A comment is what got me researching about how to get my balsa baits smooth before painting:yay: .If nobody had told me they needed better prepping,I would have never looked into it for future baits.

I've never even noticed a star rating thing on here, just comments or reply to the posts.

On another forum they had a star rating system and people took great offense if they were 4 stars or below. Personally, I don't see a need for it here on TU. Mama always taught us if you can't say something nice(or helpful), then don't say anything at all.

Mama always taught us if you can't say something nice(or helpful), then don't say anything at all.

Terry, I believe the nice lady is correct, I have said the same myself in past threads.

Redg8R, is it at all possible to switch off the star rating? It hardly ever gets used and when it does, it only causes distress amongst the members. At the end of the day, this is supposed to be fun, not a competition. We save the competition for the lake.

Terry, I believe the nice lady is correct, I have said the same myself in past threads.

Redg8R, is it at all possible to switch off the star rating? It hardly ever gets used and when it does, it only causes distress amongst the members. At the end of the day, this is supposed to be fun, not a competition. We save the competition for the lake.

:yeah:

I agree, V-Man and others, a 5 star rating has much more potential for misuse than any possibility for constructive use. We have a section for critiques or comments which can provide information infinitly more useable than a one through five star system. Let's neuter the the foul thing!

Dean

Thanks, Dean. I appreciate the backup, but for what its worth, it doesn't bother me.

This very evening when the sun went down I was packing up the stuff in the boat while slowly trolling back to the dock.

The middle lure of the three I posted was still in the water being trolled at:) about 3 mph. It got eaten and I landed the 37 inch fish. Not the biggest I've ever caught, but that was the "star" rating I like the best.:)

It's hard to say what's going on. At the end of the day, I don't even break stride for that type of stuff.

I will continue to build, post, and perhaps most importantly, try to help others with what I've learned on my own and from all the great people on this board. There are waaaaaay too many great guys on this board and if there was any malice, it will have no affect on the overall spectrum of people we've got here.

For what it's worth, I use to race. I ran the marathon and my long term goal was to qualify to run the Boston Marathon. I did qualify and I did run it and it was great. The main thing that I learned from years of racing was that no matter how good you get, no matter how gifted you might be, you will always be humbled by the spectrum of talent out there.

As I was running the last few miles of the Boston Marathon at age 38, I happen to be running next to three guys who were conversing in Spanish. One of them broke into English for a moment and I asked him where they were from. He said the three of them were brothers and they were from Mexico. I noticed that they were much older than me and they were running as fast as I was, despite their age. I asked him how old they were...the youngest of the three brothers was 65 years old!

The point is that its all relevant to a degree. We all have different styles, different methods and different goals.

If we're having fun...we're doing it right.

Now let's get back to throwing sawdust and paint.:lol:

Only registered members can rate the gallery photos.

Each registered member can rate each photo once & only once.

As for how they rate, it's their opinion.

If you stumble upon a submission that seems underrated to you, be sure to take the time to rate it appropriately.

We could disable the rating system like we did the user ratings prior but the existing rank/rating count would remain, so if you feel its incorrect, that would be the worst thing to do right now.

Like said, if you feel the pic is underrated, fight fire with fire & rate it high.

Thanks, I appreciate the concern.

I've added my ratings to several; Speaking for myself and the others who've voiced a similar opinion, I'd just as soon stop it right now and shut it down. A one to five rating scale conveys so little information as to be irrelevant to the work being posted, unless you want to insult someone without revealing your identity; which is a sad and sorry thing to do. Stop it now and there is no chance of that kind of thing ever happening again in any of the galleries.

Dean

:yay:

Thanks, Dean. I appreciate the backup, but for what its worth, it doesn't bother me.

This very evening when the sun went down I was packing up the stuff in the boat while slowly trolling back to the dock.

The middle lure of the three I posted was still in the water being trolled at:) about 3 mph. It got eaten and I landed the 37 inch fish. Not the biggest I've ever caught, but that was the "star" rating I like the best.:)

It's hard to say what's going on. At the end of the day, I don't even break stride for that type of stuff.

I will continue to build, post, and perhaps most importantly, try to help others with what I've learned on my own and from all the great people on this board. There are waaaaaay too many great guys on this board and if there was any malice, it will have no affect on the overall spectrum of people we've got here.

For what it's worth, I use to race. I ran the marathon and my long term goal was to qualify to run the Boston Marathon. I did qualify and I did run it and it was great. The main thing that I learned from years of racing was that no matter how good you get, no matter how gifted you might be, you will always be humbled by the spectrum of talent out there.

As I was running the last few miles of the Boston Marathon at age 38, I happen to be running next to three guys who were conversing in Spanish. One of them broke into English for a moment and I asked him where they were from. He said the three of them were brothers and they were from Mexico. I noticed that they were much older than me and they were running as fast as I was, despite their age. I asked him how old they were...the youngest of the three brothers was 65 years old!

The point is that its all relevant to a degree. We all have different styles, different methods and different goals.

If we're having fun...we're doing it right.

Now let's get back to throwing sawdust and paint.:lol:

Individuals viewing the lures decide whether they like them or not. If there is some moron just down grading lures for grins, then he is wrong. Seems like plenty of you (myself included) really loved Fat Fingers lures no matter how they were rated. That is what counts.

Skeeter

I have a idea!!! Well it was kinda Dean's thoughts about if he thinks its 80 its 4 stars... and 95 is 5 stars... why not ask questions.. on a scale of 1 to 10... then add up the points..

Ex:

1. Lure Apperance at First Glance 1 to 10 rate it

2. Overall Lure Design... 1 to 10 rate it

3. Paint Job

4. Life Like look...

5.. you guys finish the next 6... after we are done ... we add up the point ratings.. and you can go to a chart and see where you stacked up against others..

100 to 97 is HALL OF FAME (ONLY THE BEST OF THE BEST)

96 to 90 All Star Bait

89 to 80 You just turned PRO

79 to 70 Welcome to Tackleunderground you ROOKIE!!

69 to 62. Tiger WOODS (Lets us paint them you should just play golf)

61 and below Great effort!!! Now call a closer to fix your mess.

Then you can put in comments... And you could have a avg on his overall gallery...

Just a idea.... I know Im kinda new here guys.. But thought I would share my thoughts..

The Rookie..

Implementing that would be horrible, the best thing to do would be to honestly rate lures in writing. Nobody will do that*, so the point is moot, really.

* And if they did, does the creator have thick enough skin to take it? Does the rater have enough experience to rate it? If a painter comes along and rates a bait that is built like dammit, but painted like a turd, does it really matter? The fish want the action, the fishermen want the rest. Guess we'll never know - all the good looking lures will have ratings/comments, and the good performing, fish catching lures with a good enough finish will be passed over :)