Lure--Prof

De-valued Lures

I believe everyone is looking for something different in their lures. But if you post pictures of your lures, admit it, you are looking for acceptance or some type of aknowledgement from this lure making society. That's why I believe the comments are much more reliable and valuable not the star rating. MHO

I do like my lures to look good, but more importantly I want them to catch fish. That is the real judgement. They only stay nice until something eats them especially if you are catching musky. The good looking part doesn't last long.

Rod

Ok I have followed this thread and think it is honestly very funny. The comments are just as erroneous as the gold stars or am I the only one that believes this. I don't see the comments or ratings all that big of a deal anyway since they are flawed. Leave it how it is and lets accept it for what it is.

I see attaboys on tons of lures that aren't so. Looks good, nice paint, etc...... but I see overspray on hook hangers that appear to have been pulled from a train wreck, top coat dripping off the hook hangers, paint bleed from improper masking of the bill, short cuts taken on surface prep, etc...... Then I see personal things that aren't as big of a deal to me but still don't like, for example I don't like to see a signature slapped across the bait in a conspicous place. I find it distracting and takes away from the visual appeal of the bait. Is it a fish catcher I don't know but a photo gallery isn't meant for that anyway. It is to display one's work and for some a way to learn what they need to improve on if a given honest critique.

Yes everyone looks for something different in in a bait. However, a well built, well painted, well designed bait are obvious no matter what species they are made for.

Implementing that would be horrible, the best thing to do would be to honestly rate lures in writing. Nobody will do that*, so the point is moot, really.

* And if they did, does the creator have thick enough skin to take it? Does the rater have enough experience to rate it? If a painter comes along and rates a bait that is built like dammit, but painted like a turd, does it really matter? The fish want the action, the fishermen want the rest. Guess we'll never know - all the good looking lures will have ratings/comments, and the good performing, fish catching lures with a good enough finish will be passed over :)

Here here 'Dampeoples', I will go along with that- I have just checked the ratings on some of my stuff - there is none - except for one, the rest don't even rate a comment, so do I assume mine don't rate?? I really don't care, some of the stuff we see on T/U and other sites, makes my head spin, this is my "yard stick" -------- Have a go at this from "piketalk"

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=24203&posts=415&highlight=pictures&highlightmode=1#M263032

These would probably never get rated for finish or function (I have never seen a pike !!) but for originality and balls "willem" is out there and he is obviously lovin it. Pete

A lot of times I've seen those pictures and I haven't noticed the stars!! Anyone who has made a wood lure knows all that it takes to get a nice one. I have never qualified a picture, but I'm sure I would give 5 stars to many of them!

Making our own lures involves a lot of effort and art. As in art, critics to handmade lures must be possitive, we are not buying those lures, we are just watching what someone shares. Give stars and applauses to a lure that you really like, bring some constructive advice to the guy who made a lure that could be made better, and ignore what you dislike.

There are many masters here, and all of us the apprentices are trying to learn from their experience and generosity. That is something great in this forum, it isn't just judging and qualifying somebody's art.

I agree with many of you, just don't mind the stars.

(By the way, Fatfingers's lures are awesome!)

Best,

I'm pretty new to this forum and this hobby, thus I'm still in the "dark":) in regards to building hard baits. This is the reason that I do not rate any on them, I just 8O:worship::worship:. At the same time without TU I will be in the "dark" wasting money,, time and other resources without vast knowledge, experience and what is the most important for me "willingness to share" by the the TU memebers. Saying that, I hope ,that some day I will be able to post a replay similar to this one below. In my books this is the "FIVE STARS" post.

Thanks, Dean. I appreciate the backup, but for what its worth, it doesn't bother me.

This very evening when the sun went down I was packing up the stuff in the boat while slowly trolling back to the dock.

The middle lure of the three I posted was still in the water being trolled at:) about 3 mph. It got eaten and I landed the 37 inch fish. Not the biggest I've ever caught, but that was the "star" rating I like the best.:)

It's hard to say what's going on. At the end of the day, I don't even break stride for that type of stuff.

I will continue to build, post, and perhaps most importantly, try to help others with what I've learned on my own and from all the great people on this board. There are waaaaaay too many great guys on this board and if there was any malice, it will have no affect on the overall spectrum of people we've got here.

For what it's worth, I use to race. I ran the marathon and my long term goal was to qualify to run the Boston Marathon. I did qualify and I did run it and it was great. The main thing that I learned from years of racing was that no matter how good you get, no matter how gifted you might be, you will always be humbled by the spectrum of talent out there.

As I was running the last few miles of the Boston Marathon at age 38, I happen to be running next to three guys who were conversing in Spanish. One of them broke into English for a moment and I asked him where they were from. He said the three of them were brothers and they were from Mexico. I noticed that they were much older than me and they were running as fast as I was, despite their age. I asked him how old they were...the youngest of the three brothers was 65 years old!

The point is that its all relevant to a degree. We all have different styles, different methods and different goals.

If we're having fun...we're doing it right.

Now let's get back to throwing sawdust and paint.:lol:

Thank you, Keram, and welcome to the boards.

You made my day and I appreciate that.

If you ever need any help at all, send me a PM and I will help you in any way I can. I'll also give you my phone number and we can talk about whatever your working on, which is sometimes a lot easier.

The best part is making new friends.:yay::yay::yay:

Thank you, Keram, and welcome to the boards.

You made my day and I appreciate that.

If you ever need any help at all, send me a PM and I will help you in any way I can. I'll also give you my phone number and we can talk about whatever your working on, which is sometimes a lot easier.

The best part is making new friends.:yay::yay::yay:

Do you have good long distance plan?:):):)