xllund

Top coat peeling, and I am stumped!

...and if you have ever tried to throw the puny balsa wood crank bait shown in your profile on a windy day, then you might know what the hell I'm talking about...

Do your lips move when you are talking out your arse like that? Seems to me that you really need to have thrown one of Dean's plugs to make such a comment. I mean, I've thrown a number of jointed plugs and they throw like a wet sock even without wind. Does that mean I should assume that your triple joins will also throw like wet socks also?

Andrew

Dean....a bit presumptuous of you to claim on behalf of the entire membership here that I've insulted them all with my inane post...you clearly are the only one who was insulted...you, on the other hand, have succeeded in insulting anyone else who has replied to this post...and if you have ever tried to throw the puny balsa wood crank bait shown in your profile on a windy day, then you might know what the hell I'm talking about...try casting it out the next time you open your mouth and you'll see what I mean, since obviously there is an abundance of wind blowing out every time you do...guys like you can be found on every web forum...you sit there all day and monitor threads just waiting to pounce on someone to make yourself feel like you're worth something...I truly feel sorry for you...there you sit stuck to your PC all day, old, gray, wrinkled, bitter, in the waning years of your life...and all you have learned is to try to put others down in order to boost your fragile ego...why don't we just agree that you like balsa wood, and I like basswood...that way I won't be forced to call you a pompous basshole

Hey moron, are you just naturally arrogant and egotistical, or have you spent years developing. If you have spent years at it you must be 3 days older than dirt!First of all, you posted to a thread that is more than 3 YEARS old. Also, I don't think that anyone here wants to hear all the bull @#%$ that comes out when you speak with all your hot air! If you think that I'm gonna go out and clean out my garage of all the tooling and wood that's in there just because you happen to decide to bless us with your "infinite, worldly knowledge" you got another thing comming. I happen to know without doubt that balsa can be cast in the wind, and will deffinitely hold big fish. Well, hey, even without my personal experience, just look at the IGFA record book. I would tell you that you should swallow your pride, arrogance, and ego, but that feat would probably choke several horses. If you think that is possible though, do it and then perhaps enough guys on this site will welcome you and all can get on with the exchange of ideas and information. If that is too much for you, hope I don't see anymore from you.

David

db

I think that what wood a man is making his lures from is his and his clients preference and personal attacks toward the quality of work he does is totally uncalled for........especially when you know nothing about him and obviously nothing of the attributes of a balsa lure and none of its qualities and why its prefered over some others.

I agree that if you would have taken the time to get to know others before voicing your boisterous opinion you just may have learned something from these poor old decrepid souls with no lives :whistle:.

Oh Well your loss......Good luck to Ya

Guess I'll go paint up some of my puny Balsa baits

Do your lips move when you are talking out your arse like that? Seems to me that you really need to have thrown one of Dean's plugs to make such a comment. I mean, I've thrown a number of jointed plugs and they throw like a wet sock even without wind. Does that mean I should assume that your triple joins will also throw like wet socks also?

Andrew

they are actually double jointed baits...and, quite obviously, any basswood bait will cast better than any comparably sized and shaped balsa wood bait...unless of course you load the balsa with an excessive amount of lead

OK gentlemen, lets clear a few things up here...

1. I apparently injured many peoples pride by stating the reasons that I prefer not to use balsa wood...your reactions to my dislike for balsa wood speak for themselves and I will not engage in any further exchanges with anyone who chooses to be a forum site bully

2. The only person who I was addressing apparently left the post here several years ago, so I'm not sure why anyone chose to engage in any negativity directed towards me related to my preference of basswood over balsa...in fact, I was encouraging him to try to carve his own shape out of balsa wood rather than sand down a store bought lure, and then explained why I personally don't choose to use balsa wood...since the poster had not been carving his own shapes, I thought my perspective would be relevant to someone when choosing to launch into shaping a lure from scratch

3. I never criticized anyone related to this post or the quality of their lures, with the exception of Dean, who was clearly on a campaign to insult me due to my opinion of balsa wood...I'm sure dean makes quality balsa wood lures, but that does not entitle him to make unwarranted attacks on members of this forum because they dislike using it...my apologies dean, I'm sure your crankbait casts just fine...as long as your mouth is closed!...LOL... im kidding...really, that was all in good fun compadre

4. Palmetto, I am in line with moving forward with healthy discussion...that is why I joined this site...you can imagine my surprise when I saw various harsh reactions to my inane statement about why I don't like to use balsa wood...I was under the impression that this site was here for members to exchange ideas and experiences, which is all I was doing

5. that said, I will personally smash the bottle of champaigne on the bow of the good ship lollipop and we will all happily sail off into the horizon carving away on our preferred wood

amen and good night to all

they are actually double jointed baits...and, quite obviously, any basswood bait will cast better than any comparably sized and shaped balsa wood bait...unless of course you load the balsa with an excessive amount of lead

And now to the casting competition.

Double Jointed or Triple Jointed Basswood vs. Wet Sock vs. Balsa Crankbait

DB Big Wood custom hand crafted wake bait / swimbait

Double jointed

cd57_1.JPG

DB Big Wood hand crafted swimbait lure #080005

Triple jointed Reduced to $29.99

7d5c_1.JPG

Wet sock

yvonnetoddwetsock.jpg

Balsa Crankbait with ballast

300chartbrown.jpg

The results are in...

We have a tie for first runner up, going to the Wet Sock and the Double Jointed bait.

And the winner is

The Balsa Crankbait with the correct ballast.

DBBigWood,

The collective Hard Bait membership of TU has hundreds of years experience and thousands upon thousands of hours building, weighting, sealing, painting, testing, and learning about hard baits. Please come to this site with an open mind and willingness to learn.

Good luck with sales,

PB

@DBBigWood

IMHO balsa is superior just because you can cast it better...why? cause you can put more lead (for example) in a 4" balsa lure then in a basswood one making it heavier than the basswood one...this observation is based on tests made here in Romania were some of us (not me) prefer chub fishing with lures somewhere around 1" and for long casts balsa is the solution. On the other hand for pike fishing I prefer basswood lures , why ? cause it's easier to protect it from those sharp teeth, I'm not saying that balsa can't be used on this , as you can read on this site there are several methods to do it. Also balsa is easier to carve ;)

I personally don't like to use balsa...it is too weak to handle the big ones without internal wire structure...it is too porous...and it is too light for a decent cast in a strong wind...

You say here that you don't like to use balsa. Neither I nor anyone else I know of on this site has a problem with that. But when you state as fact,

...it is too weak to handle the big ones without internal wire structure...it is too porous...and it is too light for a decent cast in a strong wind...

that is misinformation. It is not true. And it is not stated as "your opinion". I, and a lot of others here on the Hard Baits Forum take very seriously the publishing of correct information, and your words stated as information are blatantly incorrect. I, and others aren't defending our pride in balsa wood lures. We know the properties of our lures, and so do all the people who use them. Then you further explained your statement by saying that what you meant was, was that balsa is not appropriate for a lure builder working out of his garage. Balsa is ideal for such usage and that is simply a fact. You are quite simply behind the times when it comes to Balsa bait technology for the small custom builder.

I build thru-wire balsa baits because I choose to utilize that particular construction, but not because it is necessary to build the lure that way to keep it from falling apart, or to keep a fish from destroying it. The information to enable any builder to do that is easily obtainable here at TU. For you to mis-state the facts about one of our primary building materials to those new to TU, undermines a very primary purpose of this forum, which is to publicly bring forth the best latest lure building technology to any fisherman desiring to learn and build the best lures possible. Hardly a day goes by that I don't learn something new on TU, that improves my approach to building, or challenges my thinking. If you're not open minded, you are not able full advantage of the resources that the membership has developed through untold hours of testing, experimentation, and dogged research, involving physics, engineering, chemistry, aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, piscatorial food chains, predator/prey relationships, weather and climate factors; in other words, every element of the fishing/lure building dynamic. I spoke with member jawjacker the other night for a long time via phone, and the amount of chemical research he's done into lure coatings was simply astounding

Most hobby store balsa is porous, but balsa is easily available in many denser grades, whose properties make for a very strong and tough wood you'd scarcely recognize as being balsa from your descrption of it. I myself prefer more porous craft grades that take chemical strengheners.

You can choose to "not like" balsa until the cows come home, and I don't care. But we take misinformation about its properties very seriously here, when it is placed directly in front of volumes of proof to the contrary. It happens to be about balsa this time, but it could have been about stating any fiction for an established truth here. To tolerate it would be a disservice to every reader we have.

Dean

I think it's time to move past the "is balsa okay" question. Sharing information so others can learn from our own personal experiences, either successes or disasters, is what makes this site special.

What we all choose to do with what we learn here is our own choice. Period. No need to make it more than that.

Xllund, F/C includes a solvent to make it soak into rod guide threads better. I'm thinking you're getting a chemical mis-match between the F/C and your sealer or primer. There's no easy way to predict if a reaction will happen between coatings, especially ones that contain solvents. That's why there are "families" of compatible coatings developed by companies. You just have to experiment. IMO, if you avoid solvent based coatings when possible, you have fewer problems. For example, try plain epoxy, epoxy thinned with acetone, or a water based sealer. For primer, try plain white acrylic latex. As long as your topcoat is strong, what's underneath is unimportant as long as it sticks in place. The only time I use solvent primer or sealer is on oily wood like cedar. Avoiding solvents also makes your tackle box smell much better :)