The Dutchman

coffee scent

Update on the coffee in the softner.

I haven't used it yet but it took 2 days for the softner to leach through the grounds and the filter. Softner has a slight brownish tinge to it but the smell is pretty strong.

I also had a revilation this morning. I should have talen the coffee and put it in the filter; tied it off with a twist tie; and dropped it into the softner to "brew".

Oh well; I guess that's what experimentation is all about; lol.

www.novalures.com

maybe drop a tea bag in a cup of softener... can get all kinds of scented teas aswell... thinking way outside the box may discover the next "big" thing... or the next big DO NOT lol

This weekend the fish had seemed to have lock jaw. I fished a green pumpkin coffee stick and my buddy fished a green pumpkin plain stick. Coffee stick out fished the plain stick 4 - 1. I was using braid and he was using 10lb vanish in crystal clear water with 15ft of clarity. Thats enough proof for me. It will go in all my dark color baits for right now...Jeff

Does any one know if we can sell our baits with the coffee in them. I was talking to a guy who is in good with strike king and they apparantly have two patents on the coffee. One is on the scenting process, the other on the scent in some way. Just thought i would bring this up. I have had close to 20 calls and emails about adding this scent to baits. Would appreciate any info or input anyone has on the subject.

The scent could also be completely artificial (chemical composition) and that can be patented.

By the way; soaking a bag of grinds in softner does work. My partner fished some of my sticks and he said they worked quite well.

Soaking coffee in softner will turn it brownish of course; so making lighter colors (white) with it will not be an option.

www.novalures.com

Hi Guys,

I am new at this stuff and my post may sound a little rediculous, but I used to buy bad batches of 4" worms that were badly kinked and stiff from a manufacturer that is no longer in business and boil them for about 15 - 30 seconds and put scent and salt in the water. I would take them out and lay them flat and roll them in salt. Thye would come out super soft and straight every time and were some of my best fineese baits. What I was thinking is that maybe you could boil water and put coffee in the water and do this and the plastic would absorb the scent. Or put them in a coffee pot and make coffee without the filter and the grinds would make it even stronger. Just my thoughts.

I poured some brown watermelon tricks and frogs tonight using some beans (ground medium) in place of black flake. I didn't notice any discoloration. I'll say one thing......it's nice not having the garage smell like a pizzeria for a change. I'm going to try some other colors tomorrow and test them out Saturday. I wonder.... if I call it Mocha Frapp will I have Starbucks sending me letters??:eek:

We fished a tournament yesterday from 2-9pm. It was tough fishing and really didn't do any comparisons but we had 9 fish on 10 hits and got a nice 3lber on the Brown Watermelon/coffee flakes. The bait still had the nice coffee smell after 3 days. I'm going to try some watermelons to see if it causes discoloration.