Cracking paint

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 GVF

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:56 PM

Well I got my shipment of Devcon 2 ton today and I gave a light sand to the finish and applied a coat of D2T. I only did a few of them and I like the results. I rotated them end for end after a few minuets so the resin wouldn't run and the finish looks good.I will sand them again and give them another coat and let them cure and send them deep and then we'll see if I'll have to throw them out and start over.

My first lures I painted about 3 years ago and have been asking and looking for answers to why my paint would not hold up.It took one question and you guys a couple days to resolve my dilemma this site rocks.

All the people I talked with had lots of knowledge about pressure and depth explained to me the problems I would encounter and all were related to crush pressure and not on water infiltration. This is why I didnt think about it but now I am armed with information and that is priceless.I will make a new batch of "little torpedoes" and do them the right way and post the results.

#42 Vodkaman

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,111 posts
Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:42 PM

GVF, I wouldn't get carried away putting too many coats on. Maybe two and then try them out. It really depends how convenient the water is for a quick trial. I have read of a few members using two coats, I cannot remember anyone applying three top coats of D2T. If I am wrong, someone will pipe in.

I am very fortunate in that my prototype testing facility is the swimming pool down stairs. Not much use for testing bathyspheres though!

#43 Lure--Prof

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:04 PM

V-man is correct--one coat of Devcon is as thick as multiple coats of any other clearcoat. Good Luck!