GB GONE

Swim Bait inserts??

I am considering the Chub e and another swim bait mold however the cost of the inserts are high. At $2.00 or a little less, they add to the price of making the bait significantly.

I have priced Mojo weights and they are significantly less however the knock on the weights is that they come loose from the bait after a short period of time and render the bait useless. Most swim bait anglers will not pay for the baits with mojos in them now.

So what is everyone considering?

I would like to have one of these molds but at $150+ per cavity, even for just my fishing, the mold is hard to justify. I'd like to sell a few to offset the cost but with the insert + hook + split ring + packaging and the plastic... Your cost will be at least $2.75 just to make. Steep even for yourself. A 5" bait will not really weed out the smaller fish so some will be ruined by 2lb fish...

Any ideas out there?

Jim

Get some rc car antena tubbing and use that instead, I posted how to use it in another thread.

For weighted inserts have a mold built/or buy one and pour your own out of lead.

We have them but they ain't online yet as I am waiting for some more blanks before I put them online the ones I have now are spoken for.

if your looking for a different type of insert design one find a machine shop to run a high quanity 500-1000 even 5000-10,000 pcs the price is a big difference.

buy in quanity and you cut your price in half

Delw

Oh yeah forgot to add, if using a mojo weight you need to cut some grooves in it so it won't slip. a vice and a hacksaw should work. A band saw would work pretty good also just watch the fingers,

the grooves will allow the plastic to form around and in them so they don't slip

I am considering the Chub e and another swim bait mold however the cost of the inserts are high. At $2.00 or a little less, they add to the price of making the bait significantly.

I have priced Mojo weights and they are significantly less however the knock on the weights is that they come loose from the bait after a short period of time and render the bait useless. Most swim bait anglers will not pay for the baits with mojos in them now.

So what is everyone considering?

I would like to have one of these molds but at $150+ per cavity, even for just my fishing, the mold is hard to justify. I'd like to sell a few to offset the cost but with the insert + hook + split ring + packaging and the plastic... Your cost will be at least $2.75 just to make. Steep even for yourself. A 5" bait will not really weed out the smaller fish so some will be ruined by 2lb fish...

Any ideas out there?

Jim

Don't forget about packaging Jim. You can't just throw an expensive swim bait into a plastic bag, where the tail will warp out of shape. Sure you can dip it in boiling water, but the customer won't like that.

The mojo weight wont make the plastic crack,

what happens is that a mojo weight is smooth and round, there is nothing for it to grab/lock it in place. so when you make a cast or get a fish on or even stretch it , it will come out. They work very good if you cut grooves in it, the bigger the groove the longer it will last in the bait. of course a small cut or groove in the mojo weight won't be as good as a big groove,

Theres really nothing to make a tutorial out of unless you make the bait from scratch. and show a tutorial on pouring the bait.

using the mojo weights is as simple as pulling the insert out of the store bough bait and sliding a new mojo in it the problem is it will slip out so the only thing left to do to make it work is to get the weight very hot, dip it in plastic and shove it in the old insert hole.

the lead weights from the mold are the same shape as the alum ones, so you can just pop it out of the org. one and slip it back in . since it is shaped the same it will not slip out.

Chuck,

Here is a Babe e swim bait. You can see the insert pretty good in the photo. Basically, the molds that have been made for hand pouring these are identical to these baits in a 5" version.

334_front.jpg

An aluminum insert would be idea as the lead and plastic will eventually interact and ruin the bait. I would hope though that the bait would be destroyed by a big bass prior to that!!!!!!

Jim

Jim,

I see no problem in making the inserts in that shape or any shape that you want. We use an industrial quality casting alloy that has enough tin, that the alloy will stay bright and shinny for a long time. If you want to give me a call Monday - Friday

9 am to 6 pm eastern time we can go over the details.

Chuck Vanover

Tight Line Anglers Products

Ph. 440-277-1511

Fax 440-277-9152

Guys, Us West Coasters use swim bait 3 inch to 6 inch in the bay and kelp beds exclusively. I wouldn't fish as much as I do if I had to pay more than .75 per bait

Here is the run down,Big Hammer and Fish trap prices

3" .55

4" .65

5" .75

I think that swim bait is awesome, but we carry a lot of bait in different colors. I'm interested in the mold also but I don't think i could financially justify to push prices that far to sell them (swimbait).

Please don't think that I'm trying to discourage you from buying that beautiful mold, but im sitting back trying to weigh the pros and cons

Pete

this was not meant to step on toes. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Please convince me to buy the mold.

Pete

Pete.... The California Babe e baits are $7.95 and $9.95 respectively. They are on the LOW end for bass swim baits!!!

I could sell them for $5 all day long and still make a buck or 2. I just want to be sure i can make a bait that will last a little while for myself and others...

Jim

PS The mold is based off of those Babe e baits...

Guys, Us West Coasters use swim bait 3 inch to 6 inch in the bay and kelp beds exclusively. I wouldn't fish as much as I do if I had to pay more than .75 per bait

Here is the run down,Big Hammer and Fish trap prices

3" .55

4" .65

5" .75

I think that swim bait is awesome, but we carry a lot of bait in different colors. I'm interested in the mold also but I don't think i could financially justify to push prices that far to sell them (swimbait).

Please don't think that I'm trying to discourage you from buying that beautiful mold, but im sitting back trying to weigh the pros and cons

Pete

this was not meant to step on toes. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Please convince me to buy the mold.

Pete

Pete,

Bass guys are far worse than salt water fishermen, I've seen them drop $1000 in swimbaits in one shot. It mainly has to do with the record book guys and the tourny guys.

I know guys that buys every basstrix they can, to the point they are ordering every other day and have been for the last 2 months.

Will a swimbait catch you bigger fish than a worm? NO! matter of fact it can't even be proven. but when people think they can have an edge they will buy it. Why do you think Basstrix are so popular?

A friend of mine has some custom wooden swim baits he paid around $400 each.

osprey swimbaits run around $25 each. its all plastic with a cheesy weight and hook in it.

Swimbaits are pretty popular here and in CA they are extreamly popular and have been for a lone time.

the problem making molds for swimbaits is they take a lot of time and a lot of material especially when your making a 12" trout swimbait, then some guy want scales put in them and thats just hundreds of thousands or lines of code which equals machine time. that one mold cost $1100 and he didn't bat an eye when he paid for it.

To justify buying a mold, any mold for that matter you have to look at it as a tool. you really can't count the price of the mold in for the price of the baits. Besides Aluminum molds last pretty much for ever.

Look at it this way

would you be able to buy a $40,000 - $60,000 used machine just to run molds bait molds and be able to survive? I've been doing this for about 6 years now and if it wasn't for my aerospace jobs there would be no way I could afford to keep on making molds. Thats why machine shops charge very high prices for machine work. Because there "TOOLS" cost a heck of a lot of money, and don't forget there is a big price in material as well.

Del,

I am also interested in the bait with the hook on top. Did you test it and did it swim and fall correctly? I made a mold out of RTV from a Hot Momma to try this method and it did not want to swim properly. I guess the weight of the hook on top was enough to make it want to roll.

TJ

TJ

I didnt test it, he just asked me to make one so I did. He hasnt said anything about it yet and I have talked to him a few times.

with the line pulling up at a almost 90 degree angle to the insert, it might swim real funny or not at all..

I should talk to him next week If I remember I will ask him.

What about a wire frame for an insert and a stinger hook on the top?

I tried an RTV baby"e" and couldnt get it to swim worth a darn, I am guessing cause it didnt mold right and was a little lopside I didnt do a 2 piece with RTV is was a single piece the fins were really distorted.

For bottom "creeping", I think you would need something similar to this for your hook and line tie.... Also, you are going to need some weight added to your bait for fishing lower in the water column. The swim baits I have fished and made mostly will rise in the water unless weighted well. Probably from the large tails...

Jim

bluegill.jpg

Don't forget about packaging Jim. You can't just throw an expensive swim bait into a plastic bag, where the tail will warp out of shape. Sure you can dip it in boiling water, but the customer won't like that.

Good call on the packaging costs!!! Also, the single treble almost has to be an Owner hook!! Cha--ching!!!

Jim