mr max

optic eyes

I use crystal eyes.. gives off lots of flash and I dont drill any holes all the way through the lure eye socket to install them. I had a buddy tell me his fiber optic lure was junk because water go into it... I know they have to drill in the eye socket to install them..if they are drilling through plastic or wooden lures and not sealing them that is a problem.. the other day this guy that sell those FIBER OPTIC EYES wanted to trade some of his baits for some of mine.. anyway..I talked to him and he told me he didnt have any problem with his fiber eyes... Maybe he is clear coating them to seal them up after he drills in the bait.. I hope so.. Captain Crankbait is his name on ebay.. If your still interested he seems like a very nice guy and if you have a problem I think he would give you your money back... I never tried them.. only giving out info that I have heard from other fisherman that bought some on ebay...it might have been just that one lure..

Says on the package I buy Crystals..they arent cheap.. so I assumed they are crystals.. If they are not.. then they are lying to me.. because I dont make them.. I buy them.. I have never seen the fiber optic eyes up close.. I just know if you drill a hole in your bait.. you better make sure the hole is sealed up or water will get into the lure body and screw it up.. that is all I was saying.. the fiber optic eyes are cool... but crystal eyes are easier to install and you dont have to drill holes in the lure...

The Rookie

bssmstr thanks for your interest, I am also curious as I have not received a definitive answer by the members to my inquiry.It seems to be reflective as it states there are no batteries.Go to ebay and type in optic eyes & check under the category fishing.I would appreciate yours and other members take on it because they look cool in the photos and are selling like hot cakes.

The e-bay photo shows the eyes apparently glowing brightly! I cannot figure out how this can be achieved without a power source.

Optic fibre needs a light source at one end. Then by total internal reflection, the light is piped down to the opposite end. The only way that they could have a very modest effect is, if the light receiver end was positioned on the back of the lure, facing the bright surface, from there, the fibres split and feed the eyes. This would make the eyes twinkle a little.

I am as perplexed as you are Vodkaman concerning the optic eyes.As these lures are standard factory produced lures of different lure makers rapala x-raps, bombers etc. I think the glowing effect of the eyes must be just confined to the eyes and not truly fiber optic by nature.How they achieve this glowing effect as pictured has me dumbfounded.I am sure some member will have the answer & maybe this will be a technique we can all benefit from.I am looking forward to reading the feedback on this matter. As a new member I would like to thank the members, because the knowlege gained from this forum is unmatched any were else.

I'm just going to speculate on this. When you put the fiber optics in thru the bait it will reflect from the opposite side you are looking at. The pictures i've seen of these baits are lying on a mirror + flash is going to give ample enough light for the fibers to reflect. In the water at depths I would assume the reflection fades and the shallower clear water would be the only time it would get any benefits. :twocents:

I can't see any benefit with an eye to eye cross installation as there would be hardly any light differential between the two sides. I still think that there is a third opening on the back for the surface light to enter the fibres and feed the light to the eyes.

I take the point of the effect of the flash photography, mirrors and reflectors. This would give more than enough light to illuminate the eyes on the photograph, thus beating the trades descriptions problems.

How about one of you guys go ahead and by one and cut it up for the greater cause of the furtherance of TU knowledge!

I would like to add one of the sellers states in his discription of his optic eyes "FIBER OPTIC EYE IS A PIECE OF FILAMENT".I am still puzzled but I am grateful for the knowledge i am gaining from the replies of our fellow members concerning this lure modification.

Fibre Optics is an another Australian invention, and I vaguely understand how it works (aka,Telephones,Broadband for our computers). We also invented the "wine cask", which is now going to be adapted for DN Clear Coat, who knows the possibilities. I do know light, in opaque water (where fish live) is negliable and that's why they (fish) hide there - SOOOOOOO if there is very little light, why do we need 'fiber optic eyes', because fiber optics needs a light source to work? Just asking. pete