thatjohnkid

Beginner Questions

Hi guys,

I'm interested in starting to make my own spinnerbaits for bass fishing and probably some in-line spinners soon. Is this kit from Stamina a good start for me to get into building them? Or would I be better off ordering all the different parts?

http://www.upnorthoutdoors.com/stamina/lure_building_kits/spinnerbait.html

Thanks

Although I've never used a kit, I know that all the stuff I see that Do-It mold company puts out is top quality. Look on there web site www.do-itmolds.com. If that's what you want, then that is a good start. You are only limited by your imagination. I would believe that the paint is vinyl, and not powder, since it's a kit. The only drawback to vinyl paint is the strong smell. Use in a well ventilated area. Good luck, and let us know how it worked out.

I'll have to agree with rr316, I have never had problems with Stamina either.

TJK if that is vinyl paint in the kit, and you don't want to use vinyl paint, why don't you buy the components separately. Then you can use the Pro-tech powder if you want, and buy what ever else you want to customize the spinnerbaits the way you want them. Also Do-It sell this kit, it is their kit after all, if you look on the picture. Pm me, I may have some other useful info for you.

If you are just starting out, and want to learn about spinnerbaits, then I think the kit is a real good deal. By the time you finish the 10 baits, you will know what direction you want to go in the future, and there are many. For the cost of the kit and it has a video as well to help you, I just don't think you will go wrong.

Good Luck and let us see some pics of the first few.

Yah I think I'll probably just stick to the kit for right now and see how things go. I've been using the $1 Spinnerbaits at Walmart that are ok, but the quality of them aren't the best, plus I would like to be able to have them customized to my needs. I fish pretty dark/muddy colored water and caught a couple bass on the chartreuse ones they have, but I'm sure I'd do better if I could customize the color of the blades and other things. Does anyone know what weight the cheap ones at Walmart are? That weight seems to be just about right.