Javelin

Plumber's Lead

Are You Talking About An Electric Melting Pot Or A Regular Old Cast Iron Melting Pot?

Both are fine, after the lead is melted down into ingots.

Old lead pipe will have a lot of oxide and dirt on it. You need to remove that stuff before you try to pour lures with it. That crud will clog up a bottom-pour melting pot, and generally make pouring unpleasant if you use a pot and ladle, or whatever method you choose.

The best way to 'refine' or 'purify' your lead pipes is to melt them down in an old cast-iron pot (think: thrift store) over a gas burner (like a turkey fryer). Cut the pipe into pieces-- an axe usually works OK for this, or you can just bend 'em back-and-forth until they break. Make sure the sections of lead pipe are bone-dry when you put them into the pot-- and even so, be aware that there may be a little moisture in there that can cause the molten lead to splatter, so be very careful. Old lead pipe may smoke quite a bit as you melt it down. Wear eye protection, and wear gloves. I usually wear an old cook's apron to help keep any lead splatter off. Once the lead is melted down, skim off all the floating crud, and use a ladle to pour the lead into ingots. An old muffin pan works great as an ingot mold (ladle and muffin pan: thrift store yet again). Once you've got your stash of purified lead ingots set, you can get down to pouring spinnerbaits.

Do not use an aluminum pot for lead melting! I know some folks probably have, but anyone with a lick of sense and experience will tell you to get a cast-iron pot, or a stainless steel pot.

Good luck, and be safe!

Sagacious, hit it right on the head. I know a lot of guys who pour on here will tell you to think safety first. I am a big proponent of that. Lead is very hot, and if you get burned (god forbid) it all isn't worth it. Old lead pipe may have water in it, and it will spatter, if it is dropped in hot lead. I've mentioned in past posts, on what I wear when I pour. This may be a little extreme, but here it goes. Shoes, socks, long pants (jeans), Flannel shirt, with long sleeves that you can button at the cuff. Safety glasses, clear face shield, and a base ball cap. Leather glove on my left hand, the one that holds the mold, and vinyl glove on my right hand. My biggest investment, was a clear face shield. I dearly protect my eyes. If I damage those, my whole life would be changed. Lastly, a small fan to disperse any fumes from the hot pot.