pikester

Drilling holes in baits

Hey folks I'm fairly new here & probably could ask a hundred questions but will be patient since many of my questions have been answered just from re-reading old threads & posts. However one problem I'm having is in regards to drilling larger holes in wooden baits for inserting weights & rattles. It seems that no matter how careful I am, what speed I set my drill at, or what size I drill my pilot holes at, I can't drill the 7/32"- 5/16" holes required without chipping out the sides of the holes. I should mention I use a re-chargable 3/8" drill & standard wood bits & have this problem with any type of wood I try. Is there a better bit for this type of work or am I doomed to spending extra hours filling & sanding my cracks & chips?

Use an awl to make a starter hole, then cover the starter hole with a couple strips of electrical tape stretched tightly over the wood. Press the tape tight and use your thumb to find the starter hole.

You can now drill through the tape with a regular bit and you will almost always get a perfect hole with little fray or tear out around the hole.