pikester

Airbrush pressure?

Alright; time for another rookie question which I cannot find an answer to in past threads. I use a Paashe VL airbrush usually with a #3 needle to do my base coat & colour coats & Createx Auto Air paint. The problem I have is if I use the paint straight out of the bottle, the only way I can keep the paint from splattering is to use 60-65psi of air. Obviously, this eliminates the possibility of doing any fine detail work, clean fade-outs or shading. Even if I thin the C-tex with Binder-reducer I can't seem to get the psi below 50 to reduce splatter. Any thoughts? I have also experimented with #5 and #1 needles with little difference.

I have the same brush and have that problem. My Problem was in the aircap body has 6 little holes that would get clogged all the time. I used a very small wire to clean out the holes and resolve my issue. I like my VL until it is time to clean it. I just upgraded because I was tired of taking it apart to clean which was the only way I was happy when changing colors. I hope this helps ...refer to the parts list at http://www.paascheairbrush.com/2005_parts/vl_vls_airbrushes.pdf

I have been using the VL guns with #3 for years using createx straight out of the bottle.The pearls are thicker and require a little more psi,but I have never had to go above 40 psi. I clean the needle between every color change and then hold my finger over the tip and spray full pressure with water.It backs up and helps clean.After I am done for the day,I remove the tip and needle and clean both and then clean the gun with a pipe cleaner.Sounds like your tip and/or needle is gummed up.

ooohhh, the paasche VL blues! I started off with one and still got it. Now i just use it for spraying on water based clears or pearl createx paints. I can't tell you how many countless hours i've spent trouble shooting, cleaning, calling, etc. to get my vl working properly! I got smart and bought an IWATA!!

you know what get's me, is that they refer to the VL as the work horse of the airbrush industry!! but the only thing working harder than that horse, is YOU trying to get the paasche vl to spray right! good luck.

Pikester, I used a VL for a year and never had your problem. I used mostly hobby acrylics, not airbrush paint, shooting at 30-40 psi, and thinning with water to the consistency of milk. Always with the #1 needle and tip. You need to clean the brush between colors and at the end of the day. It's a necessary evil. Some paints are not compatible and make each other clump up. I use a round toothpick and cool water. If you're sure it's clean and the problem persists you may have a different problem like a bent needle, a misalignment, or a split in the nozzle. The VL is usually reliable. I assume you have a moisture filter on your air supply, too.